Honored Contributor

Re: I just redid my closet for Back to School.. now I need to know...

I think almost anything looks good ironed. I hate to iron, but know how much better things look ironed. I have a couple tops from Wal-Mart that get more wear than tops that cost 4 or 5x the price.

Honored Contributor

On 8/1/2014 graycatsrule said:

I think almost anything looks good ironed. I hate to iron, but know how much better things look ironed. I have a couple tops from Wal-Mart that get more wear than tops that cost 4 or 5x the price.

You are so right! I iron almost everything. I wear those d&co pants (you know which ones, the bazillion-sellers) and the hosts always brag that they need no ironing. I don't know how they can say that.. I need to iron them.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

On 8/1/2014 house_cat said:
On 8/1/2014 graycatsrule said:

You are so right! I iron almost everything. I wear those d&co pants (you know which ones, the bazillion-sellers) and the hosts always brag that they need no ironing. I don't know how they can say that.. I need to iron them.

Magic spray sizing next to the starch gives clothes a little "body". Never without it!

Honored Contributor

I'm sure the kids don't see the clothes but your heart! You're a sweetie! (And we never did lunch LOL!).

Honored Contributor

On 8/1/2014 ECBG said:

I'm sure the kids don't see the clothes but your heart! You're a sweetie! (And we never did lunch LOL!).Smile

That's sweet, ECBG, but the kids do see the clothes.. and they are brutally honest. I can say, though, that while I'm not the young, pretty, stylish teacher, I am one of the most popular. The kids like my class and they like me because I respect them and I'm not afraid to show it. You'd be surprised how many teachers don't respect their students. It doesn't matter how much you spend on your wardrobe if you don't realize that 12 year olds are legitimate people.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

There was a very cool suede jacket on 6 easy pays yesterday in some pretty colors, I have one from a few years ago and it can be used in lots of ways.

Well...here, you take a look A226384 and maybe good pair of short boots, and that women in control 4 piece wardrobe, would give tons of variety. Lucky you to have a job where it matters how you appear. I always have felt that is a blessing, even though it isn't the most important thing, it is important for you and them.

Super Contributor

Housecat, I'm sure you are loved by the kids because 12 is a tough tough age, but kids have great instincts about who people really are.

Accessories are key... a simple palette like you have is best to start with... then you can accent with scarf, necklace, bracelet and shoes. A lightweight jacket, shrug or cardigan can help too if your classroom isn't too warm. You can pick up these things inexpensively at thrift shop or swap meets. I try to have at least one item that has a print with other items pulling solids from that print so things tie together.

Super Contributor

I cannot afford a wardrobe from the stores I would prefer to shop at (J. Crew and Banana Republic). However, like the kind ladies told you, it is all about the accessories. Many of my clothes are from K-Mart and Old Navy and I receive compliments all the time! I never reveal that my basics come from K-Mart!

Honored Contributor

I agree with the suggestions given. Up to date accessories, especially shoes, help a lot. I also agree with maddiecat who suggested that you get some new ideas from catalogs and magazines. If you really feel that way about Q clothes try shopping other places. Try not to put too many limits on where you shop because you never know where you might find that piece you love.
Super Contributor

I came across this website one day: http://www.puttingmetogether.com/

She has some casual looks that are really cute. The pieces are not expensive, and she shows how to finish off a look with simple accessories. I think her most helpful feature is the before and after pics she uses to explain her points.

I'm 45, so I already know my 'style'. But she helped me see why some similar tops worked while the others didn't -- some were too long.