Honored Contributor

I just can't keep up with trends

I finally put on a pair of leggings I bought when they first came out.  I have joggers and other narrow leg pants.  It took me all these years to get used to them and what happens?  Wide legs come back !  

Respected Contributor

Re: I just can't keep up with trends

Wide legged pants are one trend I have no intention of keeping up with. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's okay, trends go by too fast now, it's not worth even trying.

Super Contributor

That's what is nice about 'non-trend' dressing...wear what I like and is flattering on MY shape (which isn't leggings BTW).
Honored Contributor

I don't buy trends.  I expect my purchases to last, so I buy what I like.  The problem happens when trends take over and you can no longer find the things you like.  

Honored Contributor

Why bother?  Following trends just makes you look as if you have no style of your own.  What do you want to look like, who do you want to be?  Decide on that and concentrate on clothing that says that for most of what you wear. 

Respected Contributor

I dressed trendy (mini skirts, windowpane tights!) and embraced some fads (paper dresses 😁) in my teens and twenties (platform shoes 😝). As an older adult I don't care to do that. Frankly I don't want to present the image of an old lady trying too hard to recapture her youth. Nor is that my desire. 
I try to dress for my body shape, wearing contemporary clothing that is simple in design. So my wardrobe doesn't look outdated after one or two years. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

I don't buy trendy things either. 

When I was younger, maybe I did a little bit. Money was scarce.

Honored Contributor

My entire adult life - I've only worn straight leg or wide leg/palazzo pants.  (I haven't worn shorts since I was a teenager - back in the Dark Ages.)

I look at but don't pay much attention to trends.  I have a "look" that I adopted back when JFK was in the WH.  Basically - with minor additions/subtractions - I've dressed the same way since 1963.  

It's worked out well ....  and saves money.  

Occasionally, a trend will come along and I'll latch on to it.  I "found" shark-bite and "handkerchief" hems back in the 1970s ... from a Vogue tunic top patterns.  

I've mentioned this several times before ....

I spent 12 years wearing school uniforms.  In high school, 1500 young women all dressed alike from our hats to our shoes.  It was a great school ... loved it.  BUT ... I swore I would never again dress like other people.  

When a host says  "everybody is wearing this" ..........

Honored Contributor

Mainstream fashion always reflect trends no matter how subtle. That's why a blazer purchased in 1988 is going to be constructed differently than one from 2023. It's why fashion has evolved and looks quite a bit different every few years or so.

However, clean lines, fine fabrics, and impeccable tailoring never go out of style. It's what I have relied on since I first learned to sew and made my own clothing. Classic clothing never wears the woman and all the emphasis is on "her" and not the garment. 👗👠👚