Respected Contributor

Re: I have too many clothes!

I donate everything to the Senior Citizens Center in town. They run the thrift store here.

I also have a bin (the kind you would put gift wrap in, long with a lid on each end) under my bed for "too small" clothes. When it gets too full for the lid to close I know it's time to get rid of some things.

Yesterday I turned all the hangers around in my closet. I have 7 jackets that I rarely wear (work dress jackets). I vowed to start wearing them or get rid of them.

Honored Contributor

I hear ya and can totally identify! However, all of mine fit me. When I moved the last time, I got rid of all the stuff that was in a bunch of different sizes from weight fluctuations. So, now, I don't want to get rid of anything because it fits! I know I will never wear half of this stuff, but the problem is, I am totally out of space! And yes, I actually do dig into my stash and pull things out that I haven't worn in ages! So, I am struggling to weed things out.

Some of my excuses are --- I have need for a lot of different clothing. I work so I need clothes for the office environment. I live in an area where we have change of seasons and many different climates. I need clothing for dressy casual and comfy casual,and the truly bummy casual. I need summer dressy shoes and summer casual shoes. Winter dressy shoes and boots and winter casual shoes and boots. See how I am???

Not to mention the different types of outerwear --- raincoats, dressy and casual --- winter coats -- dressy and casual. Hats, scarves, gloves, mittens.

If I could retire (I pray, yes, I pray --- but when, when???), I could certainly weed out a ton of clothes then.

I'm very good a justifying all of this mess! {#emotions_dlg.crying}

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I always donate my clothing I do not wear anymore to the purple heart or salvation army. I also have much too much clothing

Respected Contributor

On 1/1/2014 Feline Fine said:

You could also donate them to your local Salvation Army office.

YES!!! Please donate them to the Salvation Army. Among all charities, their CEO takes only a tiny salary, while others are paid in the millions. They do solo much good in the world and ask nothing in return. Really an amazing charity, and well worth our support.

Valued Contributor

I rarely give away stuff that I wear (or wore) regularly in other sizes (especially not after a year) because my weight does fluctuate alot and sometimes it takes several years to loose (or gain). Jeans and tee shirts rarely go out of style so I tend to keep a couple of bins in different sizes. Also, blazers and sweaters. I tend to buy boring clothes (aka traditional). And I always get back to them at some point. I do purge every once in awhile. Like to get rid of pegged, pleated jeans - remember those?? And all my more formal work clothes (suits and dresses) since I am getting closer to retirement. I gave those to a local place for women entering the work force. So many clothes, so many choices. Good luck on your clean out. We dropped a few bags at Goodwill a few weeks ago.

Contributor

Please donate the clothes you no longer need to a charity (some mentioned above). Also remember DVIS. There are so many women that would love to have what you want to discard.

To those that do donate, may our Lord bless you.

Respected Contributor

On 12/31/2013 AGV said: I started going through closets and drawers today and it is absolutely ridiculous that I have so many clothes that I never wear. I struggle with my weight and I buy clothes when I gain weight then I buy more when I lose weight. I'm going to store my clothes that don't fit right now and if I haven't touched them in one year, I'll donate them to Good Will. Also, I am not going to buy anything new for the next three months (Lord, give me strength Smiley Happy. Is anyone else struggling with a small shopping addiction? What are you doing about it?

Store your clothing that does not fit right now. It can save you lots of money if your weight does fluctuate to a different size. Keep the basics- black pants, denim- the things you wear most.

All of us that struggle with weight can relate to your story. Lose weight and promise ourselves that we will never go back. We reward ourselves with nice new things. I can usually keep mine off for about 9 months. Takes me about 4-6 months to get back to where I want to be so those pants that you stored away are good to have.

When I last went through my closet I realized my donation stack was dominated by several brands- SG and IM. So my plan is to just say no to these brands. My talbots stand the test of time best for me. When you need a shopping fix, try using accessories like scarfs or costume jewelry as a feel good purchase. For me I can go to Target and get a few new tees and perk up my layers and my day.

We could continue this conversation about shoes! I have too many.

Super Contributor

I can so relate to what you are saying. After ex-husband left home, I moved into his closet and went on a buying streak. I now have 4 closets of clothes plus a coat closet full. I also have 3 bins of Quacker Christmas tops in the attic. Don't even get me started on purses! All of my clothes fit. I say all this and I just bought a Liz Claiborne sweater set. Some of my clothes are 10 years old but I still like them. I was just sitting here thinking about how I am going to approach this in the new year.. I think I am going to get rid of some prints and wear more classic styles dressed up with the jewelry and scarves I own. I think this is what got me to order that Liz set.

Trusted Contributor

Went down to part-time work 2 years ago & purged closet twice since then. I thought I was doing pretty well until I heard DH describing all the places I have clothes hanging/stored in our home. Had to stop & think about that. Time to get serious once again & do a drastic purge. How many bags can I fill & give to Goodwill? Will report back.

Valued Contributor

On 1/1/2014 winamac1 said:

I, too, have far too many clothes. I've donated a lot but still have too many. I need to not buy so many this year.

LOL! Me too, as another pair of Borne riding boots, grey distressed appeared on our porch yesterday....how does Nordy's just send me these items? Ha! I have so items with tags on, I. Need to not look at a thing online or hit he mall..... Already saying. It buying makeup till I really need something!