Respected Contributor

Re: I have pairs of new jeans.

@chrystaltree wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@Jaspertimes wrote:

@chrystaltree  Congratulations!  40 pounds is a big weight loss and took a lot of work/changing eating habits.  Go you!

She's taking the drug that diabetics need!

No, I'm taking the drug Trulicity that was prescribed because I was obese and obesity is a disease, just as diabetes is a disease.  Medication is only half the battle.  I eat vegetables, fruit, lean proteins and whole grains.  

I've often wondered why people in other countries don't have this disease 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree 

That's wonderful!  Congrats on your achievement of the weight loss!  How did you do it?  I need to lose 20 and I am having a hard time.  People think it's so easy -- ha --- it's not!

That's great that you have 5 new pairs of jeans and in various shades.  Feels good I'm sure!  

I have been weaing some black knit cropped pants (have several pairs) and long, oversized tops and I am sick of them!   I have a lot of clothing (some new) in my closets that I am chomping at the bit to wear and I can't until I dump this 20 lbs.  I just ordered a new pair of jeans --- not expensive ones --- that are in the size that I always wore until recently -- and when they come, I am going to hang them on the outside of my bedroom closet door and keep staring at them until I am able to fit in them again!

Once again --- congrats on your accomplishment and your new jeans and tops!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

I too am losing weight. Thirteen pounds since my first hospitalization this month. Nothing improves resolve like knowing that you could die unless you adhere to a cardiac diet. No drugs to help me. Just fear, haha. 
Now able to fit into some clothes that were about to be donated. Every day I eat the same things which amounts to almost nothing. I needed to lose about twenty pounds so I'm well on my way. 

@fairydogmother 

Congrats on your weight loss!  I am sorry that you haven't been well.  But hopefully by doing this, you will be feeling better.  And being able to wear clothing you couldn't really makes you feel better!  I'm just starting on my journey to lose 20 lbs.  I have slightly elevated BP and cholesterol, plus I just feel sluggish and not healthy.  I can't wear most of my regular clothing and I feel bad about myself.  So, spring is here and I need to try to make some improvements to myself.  Good luck to you and sounds like you are on the right track! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@Jaspertimes wrote:

@chrystaltree  Congratulations!  40 pounds is a big weight loss and took a lot of work/changing eating habits.  Go you!

No, I'm taking the drug Trulicity that was prescribed because I was obese and obesity is a disease, just as diabetes is a disease.  Medication is only half the battle.  I eat vegetables, fruit, lean proteins and whole grains.  

They do!  Not to the extent that we have in the US but obesity exists everywhere.  We've traveled and there fat people everywhere because obesity is a chronic that doesn't respect national borders.  The UK's obesity rates are now close to ours.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@Jaspertimes wrote:

They do!  Not to the extent that we have in the US but obesity exists everywhere.  We've traveled and there fat people everywhere because obesity is a chronic that doesn't respect national borders.  The UK's obesity rates are now close to ours.  

You certainly don't see it in Southeast Asia or many areas of Europe. I believe, and many studies have shown, the the typical American diet is a huge contributor to the obesity problem here. If it is truly a disease, why would our diet habits play such a huge part? Also, what's going to happen when you stop taking Trulicity? Or will you take it the rest of your life to stay thin?

I'm not an expert by any means. Just offering my observations and opinions 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@Jaspertimes wrote:

You certainly don't see it in Southeast Asia or many areas of Europe. I believe, and many studies have shown, the the typical American diet is a huge contributor to the obesity problem here. If it is truly a disease, why would our diet habits play such a huge part? Also, what's going to happen when you stop taking Trulicity? Or will you take it the rest of your life to stay thin?

I'm not an expert by any means. Just offering my observations and opinions 

1. You have your opinions and nothing anyone  says will make you listen.  And that's fine.  I actually didn't know I'd have to take Trulicity for life to maintain my weight loss.  My doctor never told me that and at the time, people in the media were not talking about these glp1 receptor agonists.  I was unable to lose weight after 2 years of diet and walking and my blood pressure  was high, my right knee was painful. My health was declining.  I felt older than my 62 years so I'd have taken it anyway, even if I knew it wax forever.  I turned everything around.. My knee pain is gone.  My blood pressure is now 128/80.  All my health numbers are in the normal ranges.  I can only speak for myself but for me, Tulicity or any other drug in its class wax the right choice.  As for the rest of the world, these drugs are available for the obese who need them and can afford them.