Valued Contributor

Re: I have been working toward a smaller wardrobe, but it is hard. Here is where I am.

[ Edited ]

It seems to me that if you want a smaller wardrobe you only need to keep wearing things you like and then not replace them when they wear out.  Then you can wear other things you like until they wear out.  I would never throw something I like and that fits away.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I have been working toward a smaller wardrobe, but it is hard. Here is where I am.

I would actually like a smaller wardrobe, too, but as it is, it is really not that extensive. I need a variety of things -- things that I wear for work, for me, that means teaching, which means I can be as casual as I want, which translates into jeans and some kind of top.

Then I need a wardrobe for performing, which means gowns and black (pants, etc.).

It's nice to have a few dresses & skirts. I just need a few.

Since I get 4 seasons, I need warm things & cool things and things in between. Which also means jackets & coats & extra layers (but not LOGO layering, which is not my personal style.)

We all have different needs. But in some ways we can all get by with fewer things.

My counts are very different from @Squirrel Lover. But no use in counting. The things I do need to clean out are shoes. And I don't do handbags, so that count is zero!

Esteemed Contributor

@Squirrel Lover

I would never judge someone on something as superficial as how many clothes they own.  You might be a little top heavy (no pun intended), but if you live where you have 4 distinct seasons, I think your numbers are reasonable.  

Some might not understand that while the temperature could read the same on a spring versus a fall day we dress very differently. Spring we are shedding our heavy winter garments in favor of lightweight jackets, lighter/brighter garments and shoes, sneaks or sandals.  That same temperature in the fall might find us wearing chunky sweaters and tall leather boots.  

The key is we are all different and must embrace what works for us!

Honored Contributor

Wow I guess I have a very tiny wardrobe compared to the numbers of some here. I suppose if I worked, my numbers would be comparable, but being retired now my wardrobe number has shrunk considerably. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover: l applaud your honesty. We all have different needs/wants when it comes to clothing and accessories. Handbags and shoes are my weakness, and l won't even count them, lol. My philosophy is buy what makes you happy, as long as it's within your budget, and you have room for it!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Last year--I got rid of over 30 pairs of jeans---30!!! All in great shape but the size was not what I wear now--smaller, thank you very much. This year I am getting rid of over 40 various tops for the same reason---and the shoes---are we talking about shoes too---prob at least 40 pairs. Where and why in the world, do i have so much and never wear it??? Still lots to purge, many handbags too. Love the idea of a smaller wardrobe of key pieces that mix and match. I am retired now do don't need the fuss anymore. I will also admit to the same thing with make up and jewerly. On my list of do to things---purge, purge purge!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I probably have that many clothes and I live in Florida.

The weather may allow for sandals year round but I have a summer and winter and inbetween wardrobe in clothes and shoes.  I have shoes from Clarks thongs to boots, even Emus.

I don't wear heavy winter stuff but I change to longer sleeves and pants in the winter.  Otherwise, I get tired of wearing the same things all the time.  

Just because the weather will allow a tank does not mean you have to wear one!  It's just as comfortable in a 3/4 sleeve to me.  What REAL difference does the difference in length make in comfort?

With today's fabrics, nothing ever "wears out", they last forever and ever! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Squirrel Lover

No judgement here. I own a lot of clothes and live in a climate with 4 seasons. I love fashion too! 

I do mini purges of things I don't like anymore whether that is worn out clothes or items that don't fit me or my lifestyle anymore.

Respected Contributor

I'm sure if I counted my items, It would be similar... it's really unreal how much I have accumulated. Imagine living in one of the those 'tiny houses' that are trending now? How they do it, I'm not sure..

This winter I Plan on purging what is never worn, which is plenty!  

Honored Contributor

I also have way more than I need and would like to own less clothing, shoes, etc. I have worked hard on it, but obviously need to do better. I have been relatively good about purchasing more, but could still do better at that also. Have no idea on the number of items, thinking it may be more than the OP though. Ugh, seriously. I am retired and seldom need "dress up" clothes, but still have a bunch hanging in my closet. I decided this weekend that I would go through everything, starting this week, as I know donations will be needed for the victims of Harvey, and I have plenty of nice clothes suitable for most work places that I don't need, so I feel good that I can help, in some small way. Thanks for starting this post, as it is a reminder that I needed. I recently starting reading a minimalist blog...I'll never make it there, but if I get halfway, I'll be happy with that.
"To each their own, in all things".