Super Contributor

Re: I have been working toward a smaller wardrobe, but it is hard. Here is where I am.

I am trying to do the same. It does take a long time and I still have a long way to go. One thing I love to do is wear something out totally-- as in it gets a hole, or becomes so worn that I am embarrassed to wear it, or it is hopelessly outdated. For some reason I feel like I really got my money's worth out of it and so then it is ok to throw it out! I do love to organize and go through my clothes often. A couple of years ago I tried to go a year without buying anything. I did pretty well, but caved in a few times. It is really hard. I would love to have only about 10 or so outfits I loved but it will take me forever to get there at the rate I am going. Very interesting topic Squirrel Lover!

Honored Contributor

Re: I have been working toward a smaller wardrobe, but it is hard. Here is where I am.

I'm glad you found what works for you.  I weed out my wardrobe as I go every day.  In the laundry room where I have work tops on a set of shelves, I also have my bags of donate or consign.  At the end of a season, I label them and put them away.  When I reach that season the next year, they go to their places.

I have a large wardrobe but I work and wear all of it.

Honored Contributor

OP

sounds as though you are working through a shopping problem, but don't let your kids guilt you into living like them 

Esteemed Contributor

I admire you for knowing exactly what you have, and that you actively wear it all. I moved from a large house with a lot of closets to a town house with small closets, so that pretty much forced me to purge what I no longer wore. Once I retired I was able to get rid of all the corporate-wear. At this point I don't replace much when something is worn out. Looking back, I used to buy clothes that I liked but didn't really need. I've been able to change that mindset (for the most part!). Good luck to you - I think you're doing great!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover

Congratulations!   If you've read @Andreatoo's Outfit of the Day thread, you know I'm doing the same (The Project lol).  

I started out with a strong conviction that I needed to get a handle on my closet!   I agree that it gives one a sense of empowerment.  I feel more in control and have more confidence about my clothing choices (purchases and wearing).   I feel less encumbered, and I like that feeling!

I'm hoping to be done with The Project within a year...you said it took you two...yikes!   I don't think I started out with anywhere near what you did.  Rather than quantity, although that was bad enough, I had problems with quality, style, and fit.

I developed a set of shopping/clothing rulez (which is a work in progress, including sticking to them LOL), one of which is to be much more cautious about buying multiples (how many white tanks does one woman need LOL)!  

I'm buying less, being more discerning, and what I do buy has to meet certain criteria (or it's going right back).

I counted all my pants (jeans, dress pants, casual) and have 33...I'm just starting to work on transition/fall wardrobe...by the time I've gone thru winter and transitional/spring, that number should be less.

Thanks for posting...it's given me encouragement to carry on with The Project!   And, again, congratulations!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

One person called you a minimalistic, others said they don't have as much as you do.  Who are we to judge?  

Honored Contributor

Asking for no judgment in these parts is probably a very risky proposition. But you'll definitely get none from me. I need to pare down. I do every year anyway with change from summer clothing to fall/winter. But I still have way too much. I'd be afraid to count and that says it all.

I don't have things with tags, other than two dressy dresses that I still have to get altered. I make an effort to wear something I haven't worn in a while, most days. I iron an outfit every night for the next day. My bottoms are "uniforms", tops are my addiction and I change it up with them. I love dresses and wear them to church and my very rare outings. Even if it's just a movie. I do it for me.

I could never have just what I need, only because I love fashion and its fun for me and boosts my spirits. My life is tough, as are the lives of many people. To treat myself to something new, and to make an effort to look nice...those things are often all I have for me.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

@Squirrel Lover

Wow, far be it from me to scold for the size of your wardrobe.  To me it seems minimalistic!  Congratulations to you for sizing down.  Where I live we have 4 seasons and I have much more than your total of 198 for all seasons for each of my 4 seasons!  And I do pare down at every season change by donation or consigning and all the time throughout the year when I come across something that I decide I no longer like.  In my defense I do keep some of my favorite one size too small clothes stored as I tend to lose weight from time to time due to a health issue.  (Doesn't take long to get it back tho!)

I am fortunate to have alot of closet/armoire/drawer space, but I do have to switch out seasons (at least strictly winter or summer)  Spring and Fall clothes tend to be almost year round so they do not get stored. 

I realize I have too many clothes, but all my life I have loved clothes even as a child and clothes are one of my favorite things.  I am working on downsizing by purging what I no longer want.  I don't go by the if you haven't worn it in a year or two rule because if I like it, I will eventually wear it again.  I do not have anything with the tags still on.  I do still work so I have several distinct wardrobes, work, dress up, casual, at home, better casual.  It is now time to think about storing summer clothes so much purging is in the near future for me.

I know the answer is to not buy but that takes all the fun out of dressing for me.  I have at least downsized my purchasing the past year as retirement is getting nearer.  Fall/winter is my downfall as it is my favorite season for clothes; I have done pretty well this summer limiting my purchases so that helps.  I certainly have plenty of summer clothes and what I have seen this summer has interested me very little.  I have already started on the Fall tho but will defintely be more selective.

I guess I have to say the same thing as you - please do not judge me!

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover

No judgment here. 

Several years ago I needed 3 of those portable closet things and a few large plastic bins to hold all my clothes. That was in addition to the storage space in my bedroom. It was just too much for me. At one time I could go months without repeating an outfit. Online shopping was too easy and it was out of control. 

Now everything I own is in my small bedroom closet and a few dressers. It took 2-3 years to get to this point. I shop mainly in stores in person which cuts down on buying too many items or mistake purchases. I find myself wearing outfits I love a few times a month.

I still own more shoes, tops, and sweaters than I need, but I like having choices in what to wear.  I love to shop so it is always a work in progress. I always have a bag in the basement for items I am going to donate or sell as I purge regularly. 

Super Contributor

I have a minimal wardrobe when it comes to pants ant tops.

My problem area is jackets and coats. I can't seem to part wtih any of them.  I wear them all at least a few times a year.

Everytime I get a donation box together, I look over my outerwear, but nothing ever makes it out of the closet.  LOL