Trusted Contributor

Re: I have been working toward a smaller wardrobe, but it is hard. Here is where I am.

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Squirrel Lover

Is there a particular reason? 

I got rid of all my "corporate attire" when I retired, but have no intention getting rid of anything else - except things that I'm tired of or are worn out.  

I like having a lot of clothes and shoes.  

My wardrobe is separated into categories wth various levels of casual attire.  Includes clothes, shoes and accessories.

I live in a Manhattan highrise ... so even my "at home" is fairly public.  

(1) stuff I wear at home;

(2) stuff I'll wear outside casually (shopping, Starbucks, etc.)

(3) stuff I'll wear out to lunch, doctor appts, etc.

(4) stuff I'll wear to Church and meetings, etc. 

(5) dressy stuff.

@ALRATIBAYour list of 5 categoies is exactly like my closet!!

Thanks for posting them!!  Woman Wink

Super Contributor

Re: I have been working toward a smaller wardrobe, but it is hard. Here is where I am.

Thanks gals for being so transparent.   Just last week, I finished my last closet with Huggable Hangers (sorry they had an anniversary special).  I purged my closet and tomorrow, going to the nursing home where a lady said she needed some comfy lounging clothes, so here I come.   Also a neighbor's girlfriend, who is working two part-time jobs, said she would take two bags that I was going to consign.

I made a vow not to buy anything for a year (that's after my new D&Co. jeans arrive this week)~!

Super Contributor

I don' know exactly how many clothes I have, it seems like too much &  I need to purge any summer clothes that I didn't wear this summer.

I'd like to know from the people like me who have definite seasons [summer -winter] do you have a lots of clothes for the different seasons?

I have to put the summer clothes in big plastic containers & haul this down to  the basement & drag the winter clothes up stairs. Oh brother! I really need to simplify.

Honored Contributor

No judgements here, I have clothes I bought 3 years ago with the tags still on them. I buy Ryka sneakers on sale and keep them for when my others wear out, don't get me started on boots and shoes!lol You should see my underwear drawer over flowing and I have every style of jeans QVC has. One tan trench coat and one black trench and on and on. I can't say I love clothes and shoes more now than I did when I was much younger, it's just now I have the disposable income to buy whatever I want.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

No judgment at all.  Within the last week and a half, I have retired from my job due to a major health issue. I was an assistant principal and had a stroke 2 and a half weeks ago.  I have a clothing issue as well, professional, church, and weekend-like clothes.  I have clothing in three closets in my house!  It's shameful I know, and this fall, I need to weed out.  

Trusted Contributor

Kind of a touchy subject for me right now. I thought I was doing so well at paring down my wardrobe after retirement. Got freaked out the other day when I realized that since I basically wear the same "uniform" all the time, that I could eliminate about half of what I own and not miss it. My goal is to have things purged by the end of the year. I have done this before in categories, like pants only, short- sleeved tops only, etc. it's more manageable that way for me.

Respected Contributor

@nbct

Having retired a while ago after three different types of careers, I slowly donated / moved out many " professional" wardrobe items, including costume jewelry and scarves.

It took time.  I now have no dresses or suits !!! Alleluia !

Don't need them in my present and future lifestyles.  You will eventually get to the same point.  As for " shameful, " I don't see how having different clothes for different facets of your life could be shameful.  You recognize what's necessary in an environment and you dress accordingly !  Wish more folks would do likewise !!!!'

Congratulations on your retirement and much enjoyment !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Squirrel LoverI have way more clothing than you and mine are mostly jeans (around 30 or more pairs), tees, sweatshirts, other type of tops to dress up jeans, many cutoff shorts, at least 20 pairs of boots alone.   I am not concerned with having so many clothing items.  I do wear my favorites more but it's nice to have choices. 

Respected Contributor

No judgements from me because I did a closet cleanout this summer and gave away 8 trashbags full of clothes to Goodwill!  You can't tell by my closet that I gave anything anyway!  

Super Contributor

No judgments from us on this site.  Sounds like we're all on board with Ya!