Honored Contributor

Re: I have been working toward a smaller wardrobe, but it is hard. Here is where I am.

I didn't count...I simply don't have the energy.... but I filled a large trash bag to give away yesterday.  Almost every item of clothing still had a tag on it meaning of course that I never wore it.  It was stuff from several years ago.

I have no idea how many articles of clothing I have but I can tell you that you have me beat when it comes to skirts & dresses...I only have two dresses since I never ever wear them. (I hate dresses & skirts!)

I do find myself wearing some of the same items over and over again but I do the same thing when it comes to jewelry & shoes.  I'm trying to find clothing that I think I will love.  If the love isn't there when it arrives at my house then back it goes!

Honored Contributor

Re: I have been working toward a smaller wardrobe, but it is hard. Here is where I am.

Do you feel conflicted about it?  I'm not seeing the problem unless it bothers you. 

I have cut back but there was a time I had 3 closets full of stuff.  It dawned on me that I only have one body and can only wear one outfit at a time and that helped me to get rid of a lot of stuff and reduce what new items I buy.  

No, no judgement here. 

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover

I don't understand why you think you need a smaller wardrobe if you wear everything you own? The only time one needs to eliminate articles of clothing is when one buys/owns many things that never get worn. Keep your clothes and continue to enjoy them.

Respected Contributor

@Squirrel Lover   You're good, I have about 3x - 4x more less the dresses and suits that I do not wear anymore.

No criticisms from me.  Enjoy what you have.

Honored Contributor

Do you really mean "judge" or do you really mean don't disagree or express your own opinion???   I only say that because who the heck judge someone about what's in that person's closet?   I don't whether that's a lot of clothes or not because that's something that only the individual can assess.   I was about to say that I don't have close to 28 pairs of pants but then I thought about it; winter pants, summer pants, jeans, ankle pants, dressy pants.  Maybe I do have that many but I'm not going to count them.  I do go through my closets twice a year and get rid of things that I haven't worn in 2 years.  I'm constantly shopping so that helps keep things organized and it ensures that I wear the things I buy.  I care more about organization when it comes to my clothes than I do about the numbers.  

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover  Congratulations....hard work minimizing wardrobes.  You are doing great and have nothing but admiration from me.  Must feel lighter and opening your world to new priorities...time, energy, money will increase for new adventures in your lifeHeart

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think that is alot at all if you wear them.......

Super Contributor

@Squirrel Lover. . . .   My advice to you, and it is only my opinion, is to KEEP what you wear and love, but be sure to LOVE what you keep and wear. That's what works to provide me with a guilt-free, functional wardrobe I love in my limited closet space.

Hugs. . .

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for your non judgemental replies! This total comes from two years of purging. And yes, my children, who are millenials said that I had to much clothing. They have very little. So, I started reading a lot about wardrobing and how much is too much and I was buying things in multiples that I did not wear. I had 5 brand new Chicos white tank tops in case something happened to the others! So, I changed my ways two years ago and it has taken me that long to finally feel at peace. 

I did not break down the pants to crops, dress, jeans ect so there is a mixture. The two suits (black and navy) are for funerals and if I ever need an interview suit again. I have one dressy black skirt for special occassions. All of the dresses are summer dresses that I wear instead of shorts. 

This exercise taught me alot about myself. I feel empowered by it. I had to replace all of my shoes in the last three years to SAS and Clarks because I had three back surgeries. Also, it made me see that I buy too many 3/4th length tee shirts. I can hold off on these now.

More than that I just sold a bunch of QVC jewelry on ebay and whittled my jewelry collection to 129 pieces of gold and silver jewelry. I love all of these pieces and don't need to purge anymore.

I just wanted to talk to the board about how I feel I have overcome my shopping compulsion and I hoped that many people here would understand. Thanks again for being there.

Esteemed Contributor

I am starting to think I have a shopping addiction too -- buying things I don't really need.  I have some clothes and even more jewelry that I have never worn.  I think what you have whittled down to sounds reasonable.

My shopping goes in spurts.  A few years ago I went nuts buying long gauze skirts.  Now I hardly ever wear them.  The last two years I stocked up on skorts and have a ton of them, but I do wear them all (okay, most of them).  This year was dresses and I think I bought about 10 of them.  The problem is that QVC makes it so easy to order.

But, live and learn.  I am working on not watching QVC so much and telling myself no when I feel that urge.  There are worse things I could do, as far as addictions, so I am not too hard on myself !  Thank you for your post.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead