Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: I have been working toward a smaller wardrobe, but it is hard. Here is where I am.

@Snicks1 wrote:
I also have way more than I need and would like to own less clothing, shoes, etc. I have worked hard on it, but obviously need to do better. I have been relatively good about purchasing more, but could still do better at that also. Have no idea on the number of items, thinking it may be more than the OP though. Ugh, seriously. I am retired and seldom need "dress up" clothes, but still have a bunch hanging in my closet. I decided this weekend that I would go through everything, starting this week, as I know donations will be needed for the victims of Harvey, and I have plenty of nice clothes suitable for most work places that I don't need, so I feel good that I can help, in some small way. Thanks for starting this post, as it is a reminder that I needed. I recently starting reading a minimalist blog...I'll never make it there, but if I get halfway, I'll be happy with that.

@Snicks1

Thank you and God bless.

Honored Contributor

Re: I have been working toward a smaller wardrobe, but it is hard. Here is where I am.

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

First of all please don't judge this post. We all come here to talk about fashion, clothes, and buying so please if you feel the need to scold me please go away.

So, I have finally had the courage to count the clothes in my wardrobe after two years of purging and here are the numbers. First of all I did not count pajamas, socks, undergarments, bathing suits, hiking gear, snow pants, rain pants, excercise clothes, bras, or hats, scarves, and gloves. Just clothes for outfits. All of these clothes currently fit me and I wear them. They include all seasons--a total. Here is an honest account:

Pants: 28

Tops: 62

Sweaters: 23

Shoes: 23

Fleeces: 6

Jean Jackets: 4

Skirts: 4

Dresses:10

Purses (all sizes): 11

Outerwear Coats, Jackets, and a Vest: 13

Belts: 7

Shawls: 3

Suits: 2

Blazers: 2

Total: 198 pieces of clothing for all seasons

I am hoping that other people here may want to talk here as  we are anonymous, about how we feel about the size of our wardrobes. I would like to have a smaller wardrobe in the future, but at the present every item listed above is actively being worn all year long. 

Again, no judgements here. None of us is perfect and we live different lives. Thanks.  I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

@Squirrel Lover  No finger pointing or judgements, just a suggestion from me. I went on Pinterest and also Googled "Dressing Like a French Women"...there are books about capsule wardrobes, too. I went through every piece of clothing and it had to be the best, perfectly fitting, exact color that looks well on me and goes with at least 5 other pieces in my closet...has shoes/boots to go with & any accessories needed. If pants, for example, passed the the test, those 4 pr. (in my case) stayed & 12 pr. donated, sweaters same, and on to every category. I also went to neutral colors and no prints...a few favorite colors for pops of color in accessories....that narrowed down the tees, etc. lined up in rainbow hues....only kept blk., white, grey, navy in short sleeve and long sleeve. That was my plan and after a year of purging and replacing the areas where I lacked a few key pieces, the chore was finished. 

Black slacks. 6 (2 dressy, 4 every day) 

Sweaters. 8. (3 cotton, 2 wool, 3 cashmere)

Tees. 8 long sleeve (colors above 2 each & 8 short sleeve

Blazers/Jackets. 8. 2 dressy black, 1 jean jacket, 1 blk. 

leather bomber style, 3 fun blk. grey or 

embellishied boutique style coats/jackets

No skirts & no dresses (won't wear them....ever)

List does not include sweats, workout clothes, underwear, scarves, belts, wraps, robes/nighties...those are necessities.

Hope that helps......

Shanus

Trusted Contributor

I have more clothes than the OP does, so no judgment here either.  In my case, weight fluctuation is a major factor.  For example, I have QVC sizes in M, L, and XL (currently wearing L).  I have the M and XL clothing that I still really like packed away in tubs and neatly labeled.  I'm not going to get rid of them, as I might easily gain or lose weight and don't want the trouble or expense of buying a new wardrobe.  It makes sense to me.

Regular Contributor

I've also been purging.  Not only do I have a lot of things I don't wear, but, my daughter just moved across the country and left behind a lot of clothes she doesn't want.

I work at a large company and  we have a trade table so I've been taking in clothes everyday that are happily going to new homes.   

Never counted what I have, but, it's too much to hang on to.

Honored Contributor

Only 23 pairs of shoes???

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think if you wear what is in your closet who cares how much you have, wear it and enjoy!

I am working 3 days a week and I dress casually.  I have been trying to buy less because DH and I will probably retire next year...he is still thinking about that, he will be 77 this year but we are self employed so no one is pushing him out..I might be but I'd like to travel a bit before it is not possible.

I enjoy shopping so not buying is a bit hard for me but I am trying to be thoughtful spending my money on clothes.  I do need a new pair of shoes for winter so that is on my list to purchase.

edited to add:  I wish our local consignment store paid more for clothing and accessories.....I might get rid of more things, usually I just donate, but it would be nice to make a little money!

Contributor

I have become a minimalistic person since I turned 50. I stick to the classics love Issacs clothes but I dont buy anything unless I need to replace a pair of pants or a tee shirt etc  that is worn out. I own 7 pairs of his ankle pants, 7 pair of DKNY jeans, 7 pair of Issac capris, 15 tees, 5 button down shirts, 5 tunic tops plus 2 dressier lace tunics. I have  4 mid length skirts, 10 cashmere sweaters, 2 cotton sweaters, and one winter coat. As for shoes I about 4 pair of dressier shoes, 3 pair of flats, 3 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of leather higher boots, one pair of leather shooties. Which is plenty  for me. I do the same with my house stuff,  I have a rule if I bring something new in, I have to take something away so I dont buy much because I love what I have.

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover,   You got me to thinking I need to get rid of some clothes that I wore when workiing and are now hanging in the closet and I am not wearing them.  I will start working on that closet and donate some of my clothes.  It's true that we seem to wear the same tops maybe 6 to 10 of them and 4 to 5 pants alternating all the time or that is what I do and then change my sandals and/or shoes.  Being retired I do not have a need for dresses or skirts at this stage in my life.  I guess I choose to wear pants.  I can always buy something new if I needed a dress or skirt.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

The only reason I would judge someone by what they have in their closet is if it contained a dead body. Then the circumstances etc. would be judged by someone in a black robe and gavel !Woman LOL and my opinion of little consequence . 

Personally I sway between organizing my closets and bringing in more 'stuff' --both cause me happiness. I would only feel I had a problem if I start thinking "ehh-- maybe we should move to a house with more closet space , DH doesn't really need that closet all to himself, or check prices on storage ! "

<And yes, my children, who are millenials said that I had to much clothing. >  Unless it effects them in some manner just smile, tell them you love them , and disregard .

Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
I also have way more than I need and would like to own less clothing, shoes, etc. I have worked hard on it, but obviously need to do better. I have been relatively good about purchasing more, but could still do better at that also. Have no idea on the number of items, thinking it may be more than the OP though. Ugh, seriously. I am retired and seldom need "dress up" clothes, but still have a bunch hanging in my closet. I decided this weekend that I would go through everything, starting this week, as I know donations will be needed for the victims of Harvey, and I have plenty of nice clothes suitable for most work places that I don't need, so I feel good that I can help, in some small way. Thanks for starting this post, as it is a reminder that I needed. I recently starting reading a minimalist blog...I'll never make it there, but if I get halfway, I'll be happy with that.

Just an update on my purging. Today was the day! I went through my closet, anything I haven't really worn since I retired, I folded nicely and laid on a wingback chair in my bedroom. By the time I was done, the clothing was stacked all the way to the top of the wingback chair. Quite a pile, I added belts, etc. Told my hubby that I also had added about 5 pairs of shoes, he asked if I cried when I did that, lol, he knows I love my shoes, but can't wear any with heels at all now due to my back, so they needed to go. My closet looks great!! And I still have clothing to wear to the few and far between events I might need dressier clothes. Now I am trying to find out if any organization in my area are taking donations for victims of Harvey, although that may be a week or so away yet.

I also cleared out a few older blankets and towels and some dog toys (in good shape) for a local pet store who is taking them to TX next week. Don't forget the pets.

So thanks again for this thread, it really got me thinking about the excess in my closet.

"To each their own, in all things".