Trusted Contributor

I have been working toward a smaller wardrobe, but it is hard. Here is where I am.

[ Edited ]

First of all please don't judge this post. We all come here to talk about fashion, clothes, and buying so please if you feel the need to scold me please go away.

So, I have finally had the courage to count the clothes in my wardrobe after two years of purging and here are the numbers. First of all I did not count pajamas, socks, undergarments, bathing suits, hiking gear, snow pants, rain pants, excercise clothes, bras, or hats, scarves, and gloves. Just clothes for outfits. All of these clothes currently fit me and I wear them. I live in Maryland, which gets 4 four seasons. My tally includes all seasons--a total. Here is an honest account:

Pants: 28

Tops: 62

Sweaters: 23

Shoes: 23

Fleeces: 6

Jean Jackets: 4

Skirts: 4

Dresses:10

Purses (all sizes): 11

Outerwear Coats, Jackets, and a Vest: 13

Belts: 7

Shawls: 3

Suits: 2

Blazers: 2

Total: 198 pieces of clothing for all seasons

I am hoping that other people here may want to talk here as  we are anonymous, about how we feel about the size of our wardrobes. I would like to have a smaller wardrobe in the future, but at the present every item listed above is actively being worn all year long. 

Again, no judgements here. None of us is perfect and we live different lives. Thanks.  I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

Honored Contributor

Re: I have been working toward a smaller wardrobe, but it is hard. Here is where I am.

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

First of all please don't judge this post. We all come here to talk about fashion, clothes, and buying so please if you feel the need to scold me please go away.

So, I have finally had the courage to count the clothes in my wardrobe and here are the numbers. First of all I did not count pajamas, socks, undergarments, bathing suits, hiking gear, snow pants, rain pants, excercise clothes, bras, or hats, scarves, and gloves. Just clothes for outfits. All of these clothes currently fit me and I wear them. They include all seasons--a total. Here is an honest account:

Pants: 28

Tops: 62

Sweaters: 23

Shoes: 23

Fleeces: 6

Jean Jackets: 4

Skirts: 4

Dresses:10

Purses (all sizes): 11

Outerwear Coats, Jackets, and a Vest: 13

Belts: 7

Shawls: 3

Suits: 2

Blazers: 2

Total: 198 pieces of clothing for all seasons

I am hoping that other people here may want to talk here as  we are anonymous, about how we feel about the size of our wardrobes. I would like to have a smaller wardrobe in the future, but at the present every item listed above is actively being worn all year long. 

Again, no judgements here. None of us is perfect and we live different lives. Thanks.  I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

no judging at all

if it's all being worn, why worry

Respected Contributor

Re: I have been working toward a smaller wardrobe, but it is hard. Here is where I am.

No judgment.  If you really wear all of those regularly, keep them.  I just find myself wearing the same thing over and over.  I have pared down to only a few nice going out pieces because I'm retired and rarely actually go anywhere to wear something nice .  The rest is Walmart shorts and tanks for summer.  Winter I probably have a few more because I layer to keep warm in my house and keep the heat turned down. 

Honored Contributor

I applaud you for having a great modest amount of what I hope are pieces you love.

I've given away TONS of clothing through the years of working and retirement. I still give away lots, in fact right now I have shoe boxes stacked 4 ft high full of mostly flats I no longer wear and there are 2 to 3 pr in each box!!!!  Yes I LOVE my footwear!!!!

I admit it - I've always had tons of clothes - work, play, relax, hangout, no reason. I love clothes, I love to shop & buy them.

Wish I could be a minimalistic like you!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover

Is there a particular reason? 

I got rid of all my "corporate attire" when I retired, but have no intention getting rid of anything else - except things that I'm tired of or are worn out.  

I like having a lot of clothes and shoes.  

My wardrobe is separated into categories wth various levels of casual attire.  Includes clothes, shoes and accessories.

I live in a Manhattan highrise ... so even my "at home" is fairly public.  

(1) stuff I wear at home;

(2) stuff I'll wear outside casually (shopping, Starbucks, etc.)

(3) stuff I'll wear out to lunch, doctor appts, etc.

(4) stuff I'll wear to Church and meetings, etc. 

(5) dressy stuff.

Respected Contributor

I want a smaller wardrobe too.  I keep donating items but still have too much.

Regular Contributor

Interesting post. In my closet, you would see about 1/3 of the items you listed minus suits, dresses and all those sweaters. Honestly, ever since I retired I have pitched the career clothes. My basic uniform now that I am retired, are jeans or crop pants (summer), tee shirts, one of my jackets (if appropriate for the weather) and a pr of skechers. Dressing up is reserved for the black pants, a nice top or tunic and a pair of flats.  Do what is good for you. I am just admiring the fact that you wear everything in your closet! I practice the use it or lose it rule. The donation bag is my friend.

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover  You clothing inventory to span all seasons doesn't seem unreasonable to me.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

If it makes you feel better, I have more clothes (and everything else) than you do.  Things I don't wear I get rid of.  I don't see a problem.

Enjoy your wardrobe, and don't just get rid of things because you think you have too many.  Did someone say something to you to make you feel this way?  If they did, ignore it.

However, if YOU feel you don't want to have what you have, then donate it so someone else can make use of it.  

JMO, of course.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@Squirrel Lover  No judgement from me. I have not gone through a count in my closet, but I am sure I have many more pieces than you. And I definitely have way more than I need. You are doing great, since you are wearing all your pieces.