Esteemed Contributor

I finally found a summer dress that I LOVE...

For several summers, I've been on a mission to find a dress.  Naturally, I have a list of preferences...a long list haha.  I wanted midi or maxi length, 100% cotton, flowy, a solid color, comfortable, and, at the top of the list, it had to have SLEEVES!   Try to find all that in one dress.

Here are a few I tried on this year...

DILLARDS

IIRC, this is a Karen Kane dress...straight sheath style, cute pattern, sleeveless.  The navy linen jacket is a "denim trucker" style, which, frankly, for me (YMMV) is a big yawn anymore.  Don't get me wrong.  It's a perfectly acceptable, cute look, but I'm sooooo tired of it.  I feel the same way about shrugs.  The sales associate recommended it...de rigueur.

20210629_145545_2.jpg

Polka dotted Ralph Lauren...too short, uninspiring, but hey at least it had sleeves!

20210629_142056_2.jpg

White linen with blue embroidery (can't remember brand)...cute, but too beachy (would make a great cover-up) and don't want a linen dress...close, but no cigar

20210629_141840_2.jpg

NORDSTROM RACK

Sometimes I don't for the life of me know why I try something on...didn't I notice this was going to look ridiculous on me?  What was I thinking?  hahaha

20210623_143545_2.jpg

THRIFTING

Karen Stevens (don't know this brand)...NWT...I felt this was aging on me.  Just didn't like it.

20210624_140945_2.jpg

This was a great buy...Tommy Bahama, silk...cute, but I'd have to buy some sleeves hahaha.  It was a bit too small for me anyway (forgot to take pic)

20210706_141509.jpg

CHICO'S

About a month ago, I stopped in to check out their no-iron linen shirts, and someone was just returning this tiered cotton gauze dress in Haute Pink.  It hit ALL the preferences on my list...what are the odds!?  I LOVE IT and have already worn it a lot...I can wear it anywhere, including lounging at home.  Necklace is old Chico's.   Franco Sarto suede sandals.  I'm soooo happy I held out for exactly what I wanted in a summer dress.

20210724_153215.jpg

20210724_222123.jpg

Opinions welcome.  Do you like/wear dresses?  Did you like any of the other dresses?  

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: I finally found a summer dress that I LOVE...

No, I don't wear dresses, but I like them on others and the red Chico's on you.  Very flattering. 

Esteemed Contributor

@MacDUFF Love the pink dress (last one)! You look lovely in it!

Trusted Contributor

I like the one you bought. Great color, good length, and it really is flattering on you. I have to admit #4 gave me a laugh. It looks like a cross between Little House on the Prairie and Sister Wives. But I understand what you mean about trying it on. It's like, maybe it looks better on. Or maybe not.❤️

Trusted Contributor

@MacDUFF  Oh the pink Chico's is a winner! It looks fabulous on you. Even has pockets. Perfect.Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Very nice.  I like it, well worth the wait!

Honored Contributor

It pays to be patient and it paid off for you !!!  I love the dress you chose, the color so pretty and the style looks roomy and comfortable!  When it is warm/hot I must have comfort and something loose fitting.  I am glad you found a stylish lovely dress, you do look good in it too!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF 

My dress wish list is similar to yours, it’s a LONG & WINDING trail.

Like your choice, good catch!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF  you look beautiful in that dress. the gauze fabric sounds perfect too 

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF - You chose the perfect dress! It looks great on you! And the necklace and sandals are the perfect touches. 

The color looks great on you; it would not look good on me! I actually have something similar to #2 - a polka dot RL with belt. Mine is sleeveless, but I always wear it with a black jacket. It's midi length.

I wear dresses a lot, at least once a week. I almost always wear a jacket over them. In the summer if I'm just going out to eat with DH I wear casual beachy ones. They're always midi or long. In colder weather I do wear above the knee once in a while, but always with black (or dark) opaque tights!

I like #1 and #5, but with different jackets. I think #1 would look cute on you with a white lace jacket, one that was really open (does that make sense).

I agree with you on #4, although I'd bet that color looks good on you!   Smiley Happy