Honored Contributor

I feel like I need some different clothes.

[ Edited ]

I wish I knew what I wanted.. I'm tired of the same ol' same ol' garb I've been wearing. I am really needing to rethink retirement outfits. I'm in a rut?

Am I alone in this??? I don't know where to begin, I don't know what I want (not having to choose or make a decision would be nice).  Gunny sack, now, that might help.

I don't even know what to look for or where to begin now. I'm so out of the loop since I retired.. I just don't want more of the same of what I have. There's no pizzaz.

Sundresses may not be right, how about coulettes?

Valued Contributor

Re: I feel like I need some different clothes.

I guess I would suggest you just take notice of what you see other women wearing that you like.  Fashion is really all about seeing styles on someone else and figuring out how you can adapt the look to fit your needs and body type.  

Honored Contributor

A lot depends on what you plan on doing during your retirement years. I had to go into an early retirement because of a disability so I've been at this for a while. One thing is for sure...don't buy stuff just because it's on sale. I buy clothes based on where I will be wearing them. Since I don't work anymore I don't really have to buy work-appropriate clothes...whatever that may be. Instead I am drawn to stuff I can wear around the house that is comfortable and can take me outside the house if need be. It's good to buy clothes that are multi-tasking and multi-seasonal...especially classic styles that never go out of fashion.

Trusted Contributor

Hi, Quality Gal. I know what you mean, but I think it depends on what a typical day/week is like for you. I still work part-time at my local library when they are short-staffed, so I have held onto some nicer clothes appropriate for work. A normal day for me, other than that, is casual clothes. Summer wear is shorts & a tee or tank top if I'm just hanging around the house and nicer shorts & nice top if I'm going out shopping or out to lunch w/friends. I agree that you should notice what others are wearing that you admire & go from there. If you don't want to spend a lot, there's always consignment shops or Goodwill (I get a lot of name-brand pieces there). Have fun with it, as you don't have to fit in with a certain "look" when you're retired, but you still want to look nice.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I think I'd like to throw away the whole closet and start over.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

2 words: Colored bottoms!

It's certainly livened up my generally monochromatic wardrobe (olive green and any all incarnation thereof)

Honored Contributor

I also have an olive green habit, mainly jackets and polo shirts.  Since I retired, or actually since we moved to the woods, I just don't wear the dressier stuff I kept buying for a few years.  My lifestyle is jeans, dark denim and conservatively colored twill only.  My love for the past few years has been One World and their private label Live and Let Live at local stores.  I have plenty of casual colorful tops for not a lot of money. 

Honored Contributor

Many years ago when work became slow at our business I started working just 3 days a week...it made a big difference on my wardrobe.  I generally dressed up for work but things are so casual now my dressier things are rarely worn anymore..even church is very casual.  When it is really hot my skirts and maxi dresses come in handy.

It has taken me a while but I am slowly switching my closet to a more multi tasking wardrobe and comfortable. I still have my dressier things but pants and tops are more casual.  If I am staying home for the day I wear knit crop pants from Macy's, very inexpesive but look good in case some one drops in. 

I have to be careful that I don't buy to much new....unless I really need it.

If I were you, I would look at what is in my closet and take out anything that you don't really like, is not comfortable and try on pants...make sure they look nice...and build on what is left...great sales are going on now if you need to replace summer items.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor