Respected Contributor

Re: I don't see women wearing the pretty clothing in stores.....

Hubby and I are retired and pretty casual most of the time.  In the winter I tend to wear yoga pants and a turtleneck around the house or when I go out shopping.  Summer I wear yoga cropped pants or capris and a t-shirt or tank top.   I dress more business casual for anything beyond grocery shopping, errands, and around the house.   We like to dress up more though when we go to the theater.  We can't believe how some people go out looking like they stopped in the middle of their painting, housework or yard work.  The Pittsburgh Symphony musicians just settled a two month strike and the Symphony is giving two free concerts plus their Holiday concerts are only $20 - we bought tickets.  I was looking at pictures on their website and couldn't believe how people were dressed - shorts and graphic t-shirts.  Very casual.  Too casual.  It's a different world.  

Valued Contributor

I wear nice clothes, just not the ones from places like White House Black Market because there are less and less occasions in my life where I feel the need for that type of clothing. It's cold here and I'm wearing a winter coat so it doesn't matter what's underneath. If I meet friends for lunch we go to local diners and believe me it's casual dressing there. 

There was a time and place at work where I always wore nice clothing from Nordies, Talbots and such but now, nope.

Nice clothing now is an outfit like Iman's plaid leggings, a nice warm merino sweater and perhaps some sort of ankle boot.Clean, neat and comfortable. Nothing fussy or fancy. And that's it.  

Super Contributor

Obvi it depends on what you are comfortable wearing daily if you are not in the workforce. I see women very dressed in Macy Nordstrom and all finer depth stores and sales counters I live in the Boston area in this area sweat pants yoga pants and the athleasure wear look is for the gym or runners women or girls do not sport or rock yoga pants around cities and towns as the outfit for the day it's jeans leather suede jackets boots of all kinds skinny pants very fashion forward here maybe home on a weekend run to D.donuts sweats would be appropriate
Respected Contributor

I work in a corporate office in metro NYC area and Noone wears the fancy clothes that we see in White House- even the managers. I tend to tone it down because of how casual the employee drsss. . And btw- our office is labeled business casual.
Honored Contributor

I agree OP - some of the folks who attend services at my church dress up but many also wear capris and a t shirt and flip flops.I don't get very dressed up for church but I do usually wear a skirt and a nice top or a dress/ maxi dress and a nice shoe.

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe Hello to another Pittsburgh lady. Though we are only there in the summers now - 4 months more or less. Casual clothes at the Symphony Christmas shows - how depressing. I used to wear velvet dresses - things certainly have changed.

Honored Contributor

We went to a funeral recently and the deceased daughter's wore shorts, tank tops and flip flops to their Mom's funeral. Their Dad was upset with them and said their Mother had taught them better. Afterward we went back to the house and the daughters ordered pizzas - the food everyone had brought was no where in sight.

Respected Contributor

I actually do see really great fashion worn by women of all ages around here, in stores, malls, whatever.  Even in line at the Post Office!  I always try and look put together, even when dressed very casually, which is different from "dressed up" or work attire.  It seems others do as well.  

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for bringing this up.  I too have wondered where women wear the clothes they are buying.  Live in SC and see lots of leggings, yoga pants, jeans which is fine, but why are they buying dressy stuff?  Even when I worked in an office, the ladies 45 and over dressed professionally, others wore jeans and tshirts.  Even the men wore jeans, tshirts, flip flops.  I am 55 and worked with a 77 year old.  She always looked so good!  Professional, comfortable and "put together".  I jokingly told her "when I grow up I want to be just like you".  My opinion is I get treated better if I put a bit of effort in what I go out in.  Likewise I find myself appreciating someone who dresses up.  Has nothing to do with having money or clothes brand, just the way you carry yourself, things fit properly, clean,  with cool and interesting jewelry.     

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Steffdoggy10 wrote:

I'm just wondering who is wearing all the nice clothing that I see in Whitehouseblackmarket, Macys and other nice clothing stores. It seems like the majority of women are wearing work-out wear-yoga pants, hoodies etc... or jeans and and a very casual top. I live in Colorado, so maybe it's different elsewhere? Would love to hear others observations...

I bet Ivanka T. Is wearing some nice $$$$$$clothes.....but other than a Billionaire's wife.....no one is.

@Steffdoggy10   Ivanka, who is Donald's daughter, is married to a very rich man, Jared Kushner, but I don't think he is a billionaire.  Did you mean to write Melania, Trump's wife?:  I think you have the females in the family mixed up. Ivanka is an executive in her father's business and yes, she dresses up for her job.

Yes @Pearlee. I did mix he names  up!  Both of them dress to the T.