Trusted Contributor

Re: I don't see women wearing the pretty clothing in stores.....

Shanus, I tried commenting below your post but for some reason it's not working. I can totally relate to your post. When I get dressed up to go out to eat with my husband at a decent restaurant, i feel conspicuous because everyone else is so dressed down. I have the same attitude as you do. Why let nice clothes just hang in my closet and not be true to myself.
Valued Contributor

Well, I live in Southern California.  Need I say more?  It is very rare to see anyone dress up out here.

Honored Contributor

I was at several Thanksgiving "parties" and most were dressed very casually--yoga pants or jeans and some even nice flannel style shirts and cute boots.

I have far too many work clothes, and I mainly wear LLLemon on the weekends.  I need to get rid of more of my work clothes as I don't wear some of them anyway.

Many are dressing very casually lately--especially on the weekends.  

We truly are going to a very casual looking dress code outside of work--for many.  I, too, see the younger ones in jeans and Uggs and very casual tops.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

I can't talk about other women, but times change.  Circumstances change.  Back when I worked in the corporate world and went out in the evenings, I dressed to the nines.  Those days are gone (mercifully!).  Now that we're retired, I live in jeans and casual clothes because I only go where other people dress casually too.  Your wardrobe should reflect your lifestyle or the event.  

Shorts and flipflops to a relative's funeral?  NO!   I went to a wedding last year where I dressed up to fit the occasion -- while all the younger folks there were in shorts and flipflops in the church.    

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I see the  same thing... dressing down.... way down.  But I do know you are treated better depending upon the way you look.

Quick story and one long ago it would seem.  In our area a computer store opened... everyone flocked there. A couple walked in and wanted to get the attention of a sales person.  They were dressed very poorly.  They were totally ignored by the sales staff.  They disappeared, came back, dressed to the nines.  Sales people surrounded them.  They told them they WERE GOING TO BUY 200 COMPUTERS and they walked out.  They were upset they were IGNORED and said so... they were going  somewhere else.  

Trusted Contributor

I live in New York and the only time I wear "workout wear" is when I'm jogging or going to the gym.   I wear jeans but I also wear trousers or skirts with boots even if I'm going to lunch.  When working always dresses or skirts and sometimes trousers depending on how I feel and the weather.  To be honest with you, I don't know anyone who walks around in "workout wear" !!!!!

Honored Contributor

Probably to work and church mostly....Also maybe weddings, etc......I know I shop a lot at Macy's and wear most of it to church and work......My job is business/casual except on fridays!!!!The real dressy stuff I think must be worn on Christmas and New Years Eve, holiday parties, etc........I know a lot of people who do not like to dress up anymore, but I still do-not every day, but I love to go to an elegant wedding or party occassionally.......

Honored Contributor

@Steffdoggy10 wrote:

I'm just wondering who is wearing all the nice clothing that I see in Whitehouseblackmarket, Macys and other nice clothing stores. It seems like the majority of women are wearing work-out wear-yoga pants, hoodies etc... or jeans and and a very casual top. I live in Colorado, so maybe it's different elsewhere? Would love to hear others observations...

I wear them. I dress up everyday and am retired. I love clothing and I like looking different than the masses. I am comfortable in a nice pair of lined wool trousers and a cashmere sweater with nice accessories. Add to that in the winter a beautiful Winter coat in wool. My mom was a fashionista...need I say more. It's inherited, I think. LOL