Honored Contributor

Re: I don't see women wearing the pretty clothing in stores.....

How many women are you following around?  I think women dress appropriately for whatever they are doing and whatever they have planned for the day. 

Honored Contributor

@Steffdoggy10

The boots are Camuto - style name Felishan.  HSN carries the style, recently put on clearance.  I own 2 pair - one bought at regular price, black ones at clearance.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Pearley,  I didn't write the comment about  Ivanka, someone else wrote it beneath my post

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I live in a small college town. It seems it's a jeans/tee shirt crowd. Even we older women have gotten a little lazy and fallen into the jeans, yoga pants trap. It really doesn't bother me during the day running errands, but on a Sat. night in a nice restaurant, there seems to be no more dress codes. One night a week, I'd like to put on my really nice outfits w/ stylish boots and not feel out of place. Now w/ the holidays coming, I  decided more women may be dressed at dinner out. I ventured forth in my finery  (good jewelry included). At first I noticed people craning their necks to look at the strange sight. Now I don't care. The expensive, stylish outfits that I only wore when I visited my kids in DC or on vacation are now hanging to the front of my closet to remind me that birds of a feather don't have to stick together.

Honored Contributor

I see a lot of very causal looks around my city. Most people just don't dress up anymore. I see lots of leggings and tunics where I live. The female teachers I work with wear them often while the male teachers tend to wear khakis and polos. I have seen jeans, shorts, and flip flops in church on weekends and at weddings and funerals. Sometimes I think people could be a bit more respectful in dressing for some occasions, but I can't control how others dress, and I definitely don't want others telling me how to dress. 

I am not into bling or glamour, but I like to dress nicely wherever I go. I am definitely one of the most dressed up people at church and at work. I want to look my best when singing in front of the congregation, so usually I am wearing a nice dress. I wear tailored slacks & skirts with tops and sometimes cardigans or blazers to work. Dressing down to me would be dark wash jeans and a nice top or sweater for casual dinners or errands. I don't own leggings or yoga pants. I am comfortable in how I chose to dress. 

Honored Contributor

@Steffdoggy10    Please check out my reply to @SeaMaiden

Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I'm going to my niece's for dinner and plan to wear this:

Liz Claiborne 3/4 Sleeve Scoop Neck Woven Blouse-Talls ZCO Cross Flap Pocket Pants - Tall

Image result for felishan black

I felt like dressing up a little more but I will probably be rolling around the floor with the kids.

I LOVE those boots. You always have the *best* footware. I'm very, very envious. I have horrible feet and can only wear that style of boot for a few hours at best. But I do admire shoes ... used to have lots and lots ... now, not so much.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

@Skezeldog wrote

My opinion is I get treated better if I put a bit of effort in what I go out in.  Likewise I find myself appreciating someone who dresses up.  Has nothing to do with having money or clothes brand, just the way you carry yourself, things fit properly, clean,  with cool and interesting jewelry

ITA. Whenever I have to go negotiate something for my personal life, I dress nicer than I do running around doing errands. And I agree, it's not about money ... it's about looking like I'm put together and I feel I get more respect from whomever I'm dealing with. :::shrug::: probably old fashion thinking on my part ... but it's how I feel.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

@Skezeldog wrote

My opinion is I get treated better if I put a bit of effort in what I go out in.  Likewise I find myself appreciating someone who dresses up.  Has nothing to do with having money or clothes brand, just the way you carry yourself, things fit properly, clean,  with cool and interesting jewelry

ITA. Whenever I have to go negotiate something for my personal life, I dress nicer than I do running around doing errands. And I agree, it's not about money ... it's about looking like I'm put together and I feel I get more respect from whomever I'm dealing with. :::shrug::: probably old fashion thinking on my part ... but it's how I feel.

I also agree with both of you. I am very casual, jeans and a top most of the time, I'm retired. But for anything dealing with business, I dress up a bit. Nice dinners out, I dress up more. Can't hurt, and I think it helps. My life around the house, yard, taking the dog to the vet, it's jeans and a top.

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Your circle of friends, business associates and your social lifestyle determines your dress (wardrobe).  That's always the case.  If you don't attend functions that call for the dressy, no big deal.  A lot of women still do though cause they sell that dressy stuff that still costs a lot of money.

*Call Tyrone*