Respected Contributor

Re: I don't see women wearing the pretty clothing in stores.....

I just don't know if women dress that fancy anymore, even at work - unless you are an attorney or something like that or in a really high-class office.  I think offices are going very casual.  The law office I worked at before retiring was super casual. 

Trusted Contributor

Cute outfit, bird mama. Love the boots!
Honored Contributor

@Steffdoggy10 wrote:

I'm just wondering who is wearing all the nice clothing that I see in Whitehouseblackmarket, Macys and other nice clothing stores. It seems like the majority of women are wearing work-out wear-yoga pants, hoodies etc... or jeans and and a very casual top. I live in Colorado, so maybe it's different elsewhere? Would love to hear others observations...

I bet Ivanka T. Is wearing some nice $$$$$$clothes.....but other than a Billionaire's wife.....no one is.

Honored Contributor

OK.  Going out to the mall or shopping around town I wear a nice pair of pants, nice top, cardigan sweater, flats like the Talbots or IM ones, and my jewelry.  I comb my hair and put on makeup.  

I don't know what you consider that, but the yoga pants and 90 perent of the time jeans are for home or running in and out of the post office or an emergency bank run.

The people at the bank know me, and the other day I was trying to sneak through the drive-through looking dressed basically like I'd just rolled out of bed.  Over the speaker comes "HI Can you come in?  That paperwork you need to sign is ready!"  I accused them of seeing how I looked and making me come in.  They were laughing!  

Respected Contributor

i kind of live out in the boonies now...there is a U in town and the students dress in jeans and leggings and uggs.    everyone else it seems dresses in jeans, leggings or dockers, uggs, vests, big sweaters.

when i lived my corporate life, i dressed very nice. i lived in the city. the perfect shoes, jewelry... always had compliments on my outfits. TBH, i don't miss all the care my nice clothes required. 1/2 my weekend would be running to the cleaners and ironing and starching my blouses and skirts. and i do not miss the nylons!!!

i still have a few cute dresses .sometimes i do dress up just for fun....

Honored Contributor

I think it depends on where you live, where you work and who you hang out with (sounds snobby but it is true).

I know women who wear a suit/dress with blazer daily to work. I know teachers who look like slobs when they go to work. I see women at the mall who look like they just rolled out of bed and other women who make you stop and turn your head as they are dressed so nicely. So many variables.

I was raised to dress a certain way; those I know/associate with/family members were raised in a similar fashion. Time and a place is key but I lean to being overdressed vs under-dressed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We wore scrubs to work but some folks looked like total slobs who had just rolled out of bed and others looked neat and tidy, clean & pressed.It isn't always what you are wearing but the condition it is in and how it is worn.

Respected Contributor

I wore a nice dress to dinner today.....I sometimes wear a skirt or dress even when I'm just running out to do some shopping because Otherwise I would get zero wear out of them and when DH asks why do you look so nice just to go to the store ? Sometimes he goes off to his closet and comes out with slacks and a shirt instead of the shorts and golf shirt he had on. (:

Honored Contributor

I do, at least 3 days a week.  That's the number of days I work in my office (as opposed to teleworking at home the other 2 days).  Others in my office dress similarly, of course we all have our own imprint on individual style.  We're not dressing in semi-formals, but it would be considered "dressed up" I guess.  Fridays are more dressed down, but even then it's still not jeans or yoga pants or anything like that (I save that for the weekends).  I live and work less than 10 miles outside Washington DC.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Steffdoggy10 wrote:

I'm just wondering who is wearing all the nice clothing that I see in Whitehouseblackmarket, Macys and other nice clothing stores. It seems like the majority of women are wearing work-out wear-yoga pants, hoodies etc... or jeans and and a very casual top. I live in Colorado, so maybe it's different elsewhere? Would love to hear others observations...

I bet Ivanka T. Is wearing some nice $$$$$$clothes.....but other than a Billionaire's wife.....no one is.

@Steffdoggy10   Ivanka, who is Donald's daughter, is married to a very rich man, Jared Kushner, but I don't think he is a billionaire.  Did you mean to write Melania, Trump's wife?:  I think you have the females in the family mixed up. Ivanka is an executive in her father's business and yes, she dresses up for her job.