Esteemed Contributor

Re: I don't do Black Friday shopping, do you?

I used to love going with my sister years ago, back when it wasn't so insane. Now, it's not my thing. I do however buy a lot on line to take advantage of big cash back offers, discounts, rebates, etc.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Super Contributor

No I never have and never will..I don't get a thrill

with shopping like that.

Honored Contributor

No, I have absolutely no desire to go out shopping on Thursday or Friday.

Trusted Contributor

On 11/20/2014 annabellethecat said:

My son-in-law lives for this day. He starts weeks ahead mapping out this route. He subscribes to a lot of geeky (sorry) websites (he has a masters degree in electrical engineering, connections) so he's all about electronics.

He's gotten many amazing deals over the years. that will (within Did you know there's a website hours) notify you if there is an add that has been misprinted? Yepper!

Two years ago some large store misprinted a price for a flat screen TV. Before they realized he (and others) were at the store, add in hand and they had to honor it before it was changed. He bought several TV's and sold them on Craigslist.

He does that with computers. Because he's so smart he can take a really cheap computer and turn it into something amazing.

So, if you're dumb like me, you should probably stay home. But if you have any smarts and good shopping savvy, go for it the bargains are out there.

I've just never thought it was worth it. I also have a friend who she and her late mom loved getting up at 4:00AM and heading out. I love that people still do it.

anna, Would you mind posting the name of the website, please? Would love to check that out and sign right up !{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Honored Contributor

I've gone a few times and last year was definitely the last for me. I stood in line at Home Depot to buy a pre-lit tree. There were about 15 people ahead of me. Associates from the store came out and passed out a map so everyone knew where items in the sales ad would be set up.

A manager came out about 5 minutes prior and told everyone they had plenty of merchandise, please no running, no shoving, don't cut up aisles, etc. The doors opened and people walked in but once inside, acted like complete low-life fools. They were running up aisles, cutting through areas to grab things, yelling, etc.

I absolutely refused to run to grab a tree. Home Depot had them all set up on flatbed carts so you could take a cart with a tree. I got the very last flatbed/tree because it was around the corner from the others and I noticed it and got it. I bought that tree and a live wreath.

After that, I will never go again. I have no idea what drives people to act like idiots when they are out on Black Friday.

Honored Contributor

twocent, I'll try to ask him for them. I don't see him much as he commutes from Northern Va to Maryland every day (nightmare).

I'll try to call him tonight and see if he can tell me. Some of them are mainly known by 'the geek squad" if you know what I mean.

I'm serious though. He finds some amazing bargains. My daughter just shakes her head. They've been together since their first year, first day of college, so she's used to him doing things like this. I think it's funny.

Anyway, I'll see what he can give me. If I can get some I'll try to post tonight after he gets home. She's a stay at home mom but if I call her she'll just blow me off like, "Mom, I don't know where he goes. That's his thing". If you have adult kids you know what I mean! Ha!

Trusted Contributor

Sure! We've gone out for many years now.

Valued Contributor

Did the last of my shopping yesterday online. We've had over a foot of snow so far with more to come. No desire to drive on unplowed roads at that time of the morning.
Respected Contributor

On 11/20/2014 gidgetgoeshawaiian said:

My sister and I go every year. We start at the more civilized hour of 6:30. Shop at the mall first and then get out of there before it starts getting really crowded. Then over to Target where the early morning crowds have thinned out and then an early lunch at Ruby Tuesday.

If we're not done and need to go there Best Buy is after lunch. That's where the lines are longest.

Fortunately, we're past the Toys R Us stage so we don't have to get in that frenzy.

We've been shopping on black Friday for years and years- easily over 25. We have a great time.

That sounds like us..before my husband was disabled..this was the one day neither of us didn't mind the crowds..it was the kick start of the season for us with the kids lol..he would drop me off..park..and come take my stuff to the car..we would have a early lunch and head home for a nap lol..back then it was 6 AM start off..

Now I go with my daughter/mother and last year we did got o Kohls like at 8 pm after everybody left..but it wasn't as fun..LOL..I had already ordered what I wanted online while dinner cooked. I just went to go with my daughter.

I think we are all different.

Super Contributor

NEVER! I might buy something on line IF I needed something. But to go to a physical store and all the madness for some crummy discount... no way!!