Esteemed Contributor

Re: I don't care what you call it...

I've actually become a big fan of French terry --- but it must be a good quality terry. I've found, for example, that Susan Gravers terry is a better quality than some D&C items. For me, it must be light weight and very smooth. I like the way it hangs without showing any bumps or lumps.

Honored Contributor

I try to judge by the garment, not the fabric. Sometimes a fabric I don't like is used on a garment to lovely to pass up and sometimes a fabric I love is used on something I'd never wear and I pass.

I feel like it's a very broad category and the French Terry of the 80s is definitely NOT the French Terry of today. I was definitely not a fan in the 80s.

I have a french terry hoodie that definitely doesn't feel like traditional sweatshirt material. There's no fleecey lining and it's as thin as a beefy t-shirt and provides much less warmth than a traditional sweatshirt. It's nice for a sunny spring day, but if I were going to be out at a concert in the park on a colder night, I'd bring a traditional sweatshirt hoodie instead.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I also do not care what you call it.  Any really unstructured fabrics or designs are wrong for my figure and I don't buy them no matter who sells them. 

I also think it's great that we all have choices; for me the frustrating thing would be if we all had to wear the same fabrics and more or less the same colors all the time.

The #1 worst top I could buy would be a pale pastel top with a dolman sleeve made out of a floppy fabric --and yet, I've seen others who look just fine in that top I'm imagining. And that's why I do understand why pieces I'd never buy are popular.

Yikes! Do I need to point out hyperbole? When I say 'I don't get it', referring to personal taste, please don't take me so literally! Hence my asking for the discussion....

This particular fabric makes it hard, for me, to find the positive in it...

Trusted Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

'French terry' is still sweatshirty material!

i'm having difficulty understanding the popularity of the use of this fabric. It has no structure to speak of and is generally heavy.

Am I alone on this? Discuss (please)

Actually a true sweat shirt material does not have a "looped" inside but rather has a fleece-like side to it, usually used on the inside of the garment and both sides are soft and casual.  This feece-like material can be very thick to rather thin.  This is the material usually associated with sweatshirts, sweat pants and zip up hoodies. 

French Terry is also soft and casual and a knit fabric but has a 25% mechanical stretch across the grain. It also has a looped side to the fabric which is usually used for the inside of the garment.  Usually much thinner than a sweatshirt material and it generally runs thinner and lighter than a conventional sweatshirt but can indeed be a heavy, thicker garment.

As a life long sewer, I love both materials as both are used for casual wear however IMHO French Terry has a "better" look to it, more defined, generally less bulk, easy to wear to more functions, etc.

I believe that French Terry is more popular than regular sweatshirt material based on the many variations of styles that seem to be made from it and not made in the old sweatshirt material.  I personally love French Terry and have a couple of hoodies I love out of the material.  I also have sweatshirts that have hoods on them.... the difference for me is that I'll wear my regular sweatshirts around our property doing chores and I wear my French Terry Hoodies out for a casual dinner..... Woman LOL 

Thank you @Q4u for this informative discourse.  I've always assumed that what we were being told, that the difference between the two is the length/denisty of the inner loop, was truth. 

Respected Contributor

IMO French Terry translates to Saggy and Baggy within minutes of wearing.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

I have about twelve pair of D&co French Terry pedal pushers...I wore them all last summer and will again this year...They are all in good condition...comfortable..light weight..fit perfectly on my legs at 17inch inseam....

Honored Contributor

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/main/ProductDetail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446897892&site_refer...

I probably should have done a picture but it's like navigating a maze with this new system.  I have these lounge pants and they are not thick, they are not baggy, do have some stretch, the terry looping is on the outside and feels very soft, almost silky and the inside is like the fleece on the nightgowns that are satin-like on one side and sort of like a flannel fleece on the other side.  These are very, very nice lounge pants and fit none of the negative input heretofore described.

Honored Contributor

I have never owned any French terry that resembled sweatshirt material.

I have owned an IM French terry blazer that was quite heavy. All the French terry I currently own is lightweight. All are lighter than sweatshirt fabric. 

Honored Contributor

@CoG wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

'French terry' is still sweatshirty material!

i'm having difficulty understanding the popularity of the use of this fabric. It has no structure to speak of and is generally heavy.

Am I alone on this? Discuss (please)

Actually a true sweat shirt material does not have a "looped" inside but rather has a fleece-like side to it, usually used on the inside of the garment and both sides are soft and casual.  This feece-like material can be very thick to rather thin.  This is the material usually associated with sweatshirts, sweat pants and zip up hoodies. 

French Terry is also soft and casual and a knit fabric but has a 25% mechanical stretch across the grain. It also has a looped side to the fabric which is usually used for the inside of the garment.  Usually much thinner than a sweatshirt material and it generally runs thinner and lighter than a conventional sweatshirt but can indeed be a heavy, thicker garment.

As a life long sewer, I love both materials as both are used for casual wear however IMHO French Terry has a "better" look to it, more defined, generally less bulk, easy to wear to more functions, etc.

I believe that French Terry is more popular than regular sweatshirt material based on the many variations of styles that seem to be made from it and not made in the old sweatshirt material.  I personally love French Terry and have a couple of hoodies I love out of the material.  I also have sweatshirts that have hoods on them.... the difference for me is that I'll wear my regular sweatshirts around our property doing chores and I wear my French Terry Hoodies out for a casual dinner..... Woman LOL 

Thank you @Q4u for this informative discourse.  I've always assumed that what we were being told, that the difference between the two is the length/denisty of the inner loop, was truth. 

I believe that what they are talking about is the difference in the length/density of the inner loops compared to other French Terry (and they do differ within the French Terry spectrum) since the Sweatshirt material doesn't have a looped interior of the garment but rather a fleece interior, but who knows what they think they were talking about.... LOL!  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I'm going to assume that not all french terry is created equally just like not all cashmere, cotton, etc. is created equally.  Some might be a denser, heavier weight than others. Some might end up baggy and saggy while others might be okay.

I have a few french terry tops/jackets.  They are very casual, nothing I'd wear to work.  I do not own french terry bottoms.