Occasional Contributor

Re: I can't stop crying.................

On 9/4/2014 blossompie said: @Jerry Lee I feel your pain and I totally get what you are saying. Im so mad at that clinic and that doctor. I can't imagine a world without that warm funny lady who said what we all were thinking,how she would make the hosts bust out in laughter while selling clothes jewelry etc. And learning how generous she was and u like so many other celebrities who give to charity as part of their own publicity but Joan did it from the heart without the fan fare. I'm still crying. She brought so much fun and joy to everything she did. Hats off to Jerry Lee for saying what most of Joan's fans are feeling tonite!

Bless you for that, blossompie, we really loved her, didn't we...... it's so good to be able to share this grief with others like you who really understand and get what a huge loss and tragedy this really is....thanks for sharing your sentiments Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Feeling sad and sniffly Jerry Lee... Right there with ya :-(
Occasional Contributor

On 9/4/2014 kimsu1 said: Feeling sad and sniffly Jerry Lee... Right there with ya :-(

I can't see you but it feels like you're right here with me, good to know, thanks kimsu1

Contributor

On 9/4/2014 Jerry Lee said:
On 9/4/2014 blossompie said: @Jerry Lee I feel your pain and I totally get what you are saying. Im so mad at that clinic and that doctor. I can't imagine a world without that warm funny lady who said what we all were thinking,how she would make the hosts bust out in laughter while selling clothes jewelry etc. And learning how generous she was and u like so many other celebrities who give to charity as part of their own publicity but Joan did it from the heart without the fan fare. I'm still crying. She brought so much fun and joy to everything she did. Hats off to Jerry Lee for saying what most of Joan's fans are feeling tonite!

Bless you for that, blossompie, we really loved her, didn't we...... it's so good to be able to share this grief with others like you who really understand and get what a huge loss and tragedy this really is....thanks for sharing your sentiments Smiley Happy

I agree that something went very wrong during her "routine procedure". I don't know exactly what it was or who was to blame, but something is just not right about this.

I lost my daddy 19 years ago, due to a medical screw up during a very "routine procedure".

In his case, the doctors and hospital admitted that they caused his death. It took awhile for them to admit it, but they basically had to due to the circumstances.

In the end, it did not really matter, because nothing could ever bring him back.

I'm not blasting the medical profession as a whole here. I am just saying that it IS possible that somebody messed up. Mistakes happen. Unfortunately I know this all too well.

I have been crying all day too. I still cannot believe that Joan is gone.

Regular Contributor

Grieving tonight over Joan watching E....great job. All I want to say is a few years back in my 60's went in for outpatient meniscus repair. During recovery I said to my son with a nurse there I think I'm going to pass out my heart feels funny. They immediately put an aspirin in my mouth to chew something I never thought I could do....and they said I was going to be transported to the main hospital if my vitals were to not go down - they did and immediately. So I think something like this only worse is what happened. The way she works, her age and all the surgeries.....it was her time. Sad for all of us but you never know.

I had a cousin very young had her gall bladder removed .....she was fine until after awhile at home when they took her to ER.....she threw a clot and died. So in this life you never know and it should be a lesson to all of us to appreciate the "now".

I miss her .....and feel so sad for Melissa and Cooper....

Super Contributor

On 9/4/2014 Beejene said:
On 9/4/2014 Perkup said:

Jerry Lee, I am 80 years old. I can easily relate to Joan's age. She was not "so full of life". She had heart issues (per her own words) and she chose her doctor and the outpatient clinic where she was treated. I am sure she had to sign the same papers that everyone is required to sign. And she chose to work right up until the night before she went to find out what was going on with her vocal chords. She pushed the envelope right up to the end.

We don't know what "went on in that clinic". To throw blame at medical people who were caring for her in what should have been a very simple procedure - to accuse them of medical malpractice - when you have no knowledge of the whole situation is beyond reproach. Joan's heart stopped. When you're 81 years old, having your heart stop beating is not beyond the realm of possibility. It happens to wonderful people every day. My Mom died in my arms on my 40th birthday just as the kids were lighting my candles. It could happen to you or me tomorrow. The trick here is to be prepared - I think Joan was.

Another thought - she loved to work. And she was blessed to be able to work right up until mere hours before her soul departed this good earth. I can't imagine that she would have wanted it any other way.

Please reserve your cruel comments about the medical professionals and your thoughts that "it should never have happened" until someone with knowledge and authority tells us their findings. Clearly you are upset, but to point fingers at medical professionals and say you are certain of medical malpractice is just plain wrong. God decided he needed her more than you and I. We have to accept that.

I live in New York and one of the reputable and local TV news stations said the clinic where Joan had to procedure is being investigated now!!!!! Good.

Oh good grief! There's always an investigation when a death occurs!

Super Contributor

being in the medical field for 25 years, I know a thing or two about procedures. weekly, doctors go to conferences called M&M's which is for morbidity and mortality. There they discuss findings of cases like Joan's such as what could have happened, how to prevent it, better safety measures. There is no talk of blame or lawsuits. When you are dealing with real people, things happen. Sometimes unexplainable, even with doing all the proper pre-op testing, anything can happen. I am sure they will investigate her case just to see if they can get any questions answered.

People do not have to immediately jump on the "blame" train.

Honored Contributor

Honestly, I wish QVC would just start deleting all these threads already. They serve no purpose.

Occasional Contributor

On 9/4/2014 Gogos said:
On 9/4/2014 PpprMintPatty said:
On 9/4/2i014 Alsee said: We have no idea what happened. She could have had cardiac arrest sitting in her living room or even on the air. Let's withhold judgment and let the medical experts determine the cause of death. And none of us know her medical history.

Well said.

Good grief, I'm shocked by some of these posts. No one can be sure of anything that went on there...and it's not our business. It happened to my son in his early 20's, it just happens.

I agree. I'm younger than Joan. I went in for out-patient surgery and had to sign stacks of papers. I ended up in ICU. It wasn't the doctors fault at all. It was in recovery, they did not watch my blood pressure. ANY TIME you go under anesthetic even for dental work you are in danger. I noticed Joan seemed more and more tired in the last few segments on the Q. I'm not surprised at this.

Endoscopy does have risks, but it's shocking when someone goes into cardiac arrest and subsequently dies. I' m an advocate for only allowing these procedures to be done in the hospital, where the team is better prepared for an emergency and doesn't have to transport a patient to the hospital if there is a problem. I think for high risk patients and that includes elderly and those with other co- morbid medical conditions this should be done in the hospital. Times is life and in a situation like that every minute counts in reviving a patient.
Occasional Contributor

On 9/5/2014 PKB said:
On 9/4/2014 Beejene said:
On 9/4/2014 Perkup said:

Jerry Lee, I am 80 years old. I can easily relate to Joan's age. She was not "so full of life". She had heart issues (per her own words) and she chose her doctor and the outpatient clinic where she was treated. I am sure she had to sign the same papers that everyone is required to sign. And she chose to work right up until the night before she went to find out what was going on with her vocal chords. She pushed the envelope right up to the end.

We don't know what "went on in that clinic". To throw blame at medical people who were caring for her in what should have been a very simple procedure - to accuse them of medical malpractice - when you have no knowledge of the whole situation is beyond reproach. Joan's heart stopped. When you're 81 years old, having your heart stop beating is not beyond the realm of possibility. It happens to wonderful people every day. My Mom died in my arms on my 40th birthday just as the kids were lighting my candles. It could happen to you or me tomorrow. The trick here is to be prepared - I think Joan was.

Another thought - she loved to work. And she was blessed to be able to work right up until mere hours before her soul departed this good earth. I can't imagine that she would have wanted it any other way.

Please reserve your cruel comments about the medical professionals and your thoughts that "it should never have happened" until someone with knowledge and authority tells us their findings. Clearly you are upset, but to point fingers at medical professionals and say you are certain of medical malpractice is just plain wrong. God decided he needed her more than you and I. We have to accept that.

I live in New York and one of the reputable and local TV news stations said the clinic where Joan had to procedure is being investigated now!!!!! Good.

Oh good grief! There's always an investigation when a death occurs!

Yes, that's the law and for good reason. It's done to see what happened and if there are safety measures that can prevent this. This is routine surveillance. Medicine is an art and issues do occur, we can learn from incidents and possibly prevent this happening again. When a procedure is done as an outpatient an assumption is being made that the patient is healthy enough to have this procedure done and in this setting, a death is not an expected outcome and should be investigated, yes for the family to understand what happened but also for the greater good for all patients.