Honored Contributor

Re: I can't stop crying.................

IMO, Joan would have had a good ten, probably more years ahead. She was young, energy wise and very ambitious. 81 is fairly young for many. Most of the folks around here in their eighties are pretty much living as though as they are 60 or so. Maybe even younger. (Walk alone to shopping center and walk home with one or two shopping bags, drive, garden, attend weekly events, etc., etc.) And they have had physical/medical problems. Joan was healthy enough to work daily, plan a huge tour, etc. She was 'way too young' to leave us, IMHO. Wishing Melissa, Cooper, and Joan's family, friends, co-workers, pets, and all my very deep condolences.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

On 9/4/2014 Perkup said:

Jerry Lee, I am 80 years old. I can easily relate to Joan's age. She was not "so full of life". She had heart issues (per her own words) and she chose her doctor and the outpatient clinic where she was treated. I am sure she had to sign the same papers that everyone is required to sign. And she chose to work right up until the night before she went to find out what was going on with her vocal chords. She pushed the envelope right up to the end.

We don't know what "went on in that clinic". To throw blame at medical people who were caring for her in what should have been a very simple procedure - to accuse them of medical malpractice - when you have no knowledge of the whole situation is beyond reproach. Joan's heart stopped. When you're 81 years old, having your heart stop beating is not beyond the realm of possibility. It happens to wonderful people every day. My Mom died in my arms on my 40th birthday just as the kids were lighting my candles. It could happen to you or me tomorrow. The trick here is to be prepared - I think Joan was.

Another thought - she loved to work. And she was blessed to be able to work right up until mere hours before her soul departed this good earth. I can't imagine that she would have wanted it any other way.

Please reserve your cruel comments about the medical professionals and your thoughts that "it should never have happened" until someone with knowledge and authority tells us their findings. Clearly you are upset, but to point fingers at medical professionals and say you are certain of medical malpractice is just plain wrong. God decided he needed her more than you and I. We have to accept that.

I , as well am a blessed 80 year old, Perk.. I truly treasure all the years God has given me on this earth and even though my earthly possessions are few I have had such a full life; so many of my friends have not been so blessed. Since I believe God is in control of life and death I am content and hope to embrace my homegoing with anticipation of a better life when my time comes. Few of my friends or acquaintances have this kind of energy or health to do what Joan was able to accomplish in her life time. ( I certainly don't know any of the 90 year olds one of the above posters mentioned; I have lived in a Sr. community of 99 condos for 23 years now; I was the youngest here when I first moved in; all of the others have gone and most in their early 80's. One did actually make the 90th mark, however)

I agree with you completely about the blame attributed to the medical professionals. It was her time to go; it just happened to be this way.

For those who don't agree, that's fine with me. this is an opinion board after all.

Occasional Contributor

Perhaps we could just focus on how much we loved her and how much we will miss her.

Trusted Contributor

On 9/4/2014 Perkup said:

Jerry Lee, I am 80 years old. I can easily relate to Joan's age. She was not "so full of life". She had heart issues (per her own words) and she chose her doctor and the outpatient clinic where she was treated. I am sure she had to sign the same papers that everyone is required to sign. And she chose to work right up until the night before she went to find out what was going on with her vocal chords. She pushed the envelope right up to the end.

We don't know what "went on in that clinic". To throw blame at medical people who were caring for her in what should have been a very simple procedure - to accuse them of medical malpractice - when you have no knowledge of the whole situation is beyond reproach. Joan's heart stopped. When you're 81 years old, having your heart stop beating is not beyond the realm of possibility. It happens to wonderful people every day. My Mom died in my arms on my 40th birthday just as the kids were lighting my candles. It could happen to you or me tomorrow. The trick here is to be prepared - I think Joan was.

Another thought - she loved to work. And she was blessed to be able to work right up until mere hours before her soul departed this good earth. I can't imagine that she would have wanted it any other way.

Please reserve your cruel comments about the medical professionals and your thoughts that "it should never have happened" until someone with knowledge and authority tells us their findings. Clearly you are upset, but to point fingers at medical professionals and say you are certain of medical malpractice is just plain wrong. God decided he needed her more than you and I. We have to accept that.

I live in New York and one of the reputable and local TV news stations said the clinic where Joan had to procedure is being investigated now!!!!! Good.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry for your loss. I still can't read anything about Robin Williams without crying.

Valued Contributor

On 9/4/2014 Perkup said:

I agree. None of us know when or how our path here on earth ends, even though the survivors have to go on one day at a time. Pointing fingers this early does nothing, even though some may be angry. My prayers to her family who right now are more upset/distraught than any of us.

Super Contributor

I'm with you Jerry I'm heartbroken. I would watch Joan all the time on QVC because she was so real and so funny. She had so much vitality and still relevant at 81 and over 2 million twitter followers. She was amazing and a true inspiration. I usually don't cry when a celebrity dies but with Joan it's hard not too. I used to beg my parents in the 80s as a kid to let me stay up late to watch Joan on the Carson show and I've loved and followed her career since. Joan changed the face of Home Shopping,The Red Carpet,Women in late night etc ect and I really hope QVC puts aside selling for one hour sometime soon and do a proper and much deserved tribute to Joan. It would be nice to see the hosts share their memories of this wonderful woman. Joan deserves at least that much. Just one QVC put aside making money and please give Joan her tribute! Rest in peace funny lady you will be missed always and forever.
Super Contributor

QVC won't be the same. When Joan was on it was like a free Stand up act, some of the things she would say had me lol and when she interacted with the Models it was too funny. I just can't believe she's gone and I am also not happy with those doctors who did this procedure on her and I feel for Melissa who not only got the news from a reporter that her father committed suicide but now had to be the one to remove her mother from life support. That girl has been through a lot and yes she's wealthy and has security but her parents mean more than everything, so let keep Melissa in our prayers this has to be so hard on her.
Respected Contributor

On 9/4/2014 Perkup said:

Very wise post. I agree with every word.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

On 9/4/2014 Luvmycats said:

but I'm sure they're guilty of med malpractice

You know NOTHING!

WHAT is wrong with people ....... insisting the clinic did something wrong? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Joan had a HEART CONDITION ..... and has been through more than a dozen major surgeries (mostly plastic surgeries) and could have gone AT ANY TIME ..... just like the rest of us. She might have died if she was at home reading the day she went to the clinic .... you don't know! {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Personally, with her having a procedure that required anesthesia, you'd think she'd want to be at a fully equipped HOSPITAL ..... but it was her choice, so it is what it is .....