Occasional Contributor

I can't stop crying.................

I feel like I lost a family member...every day I wear Joan's sunglasses and usually one of her jackets or watches...my closet is full of Joan's items and I so looked forward to her shows on QVC with David Dangle or Dennis. What hurts so much is that this should never have happened, she was so full of life. I don't know what went on in that clinic but I'm sure they're guilty of med malpractice and I hope someone is held accountable, although it will never bring Joan back. I will miss her and feel bad about this for a very long time....RIP sweet Joan, you were quite a lady.

Respected Contributor

Re: I can't stop crying.................

Jerry Lee, I am 80 years old. I can easily relate to Joan's age. She was not "so full of life". She had heart issues (per her own words) and she chose her doctor and the outpatient clinic where she was treated. I am sure she had to sign the same papers that everyone is required to sign. And she chose to work right up until the night before she went to find out what was going on with her vocal chords. She pushed the envelope right up to the end.

We don't know what "went on in that clinic". To throw blame at medical people who were caring for her in what should have been a very simple procedure - to accuse them of medical malpractice - when you have no knowledge of the whole situation is beyond reproach. Joan's heart stopped. When you're 81 years old, having your heart stop beating is not beyond the realm of possibility. It happens to wonderful people every day. My Mom died in my arms on my 40th birthday just as the kids were lighting my candles. It could happen to you or me tomorrow. The trick here is to be prepared - I think Joan was.

Another thought - she loved to work. And she was blessed to be able to work right up until mere hours before her soul departed this good earth. I can't imagine that she would have wanted it any other way.

Please reserve your cruel comments about the medical professionals and your thoughts that "it should never have happened" until someone with knowledge and authority tells us their findings. Clearly you are upset, but to point fingers at medical professionals and say you are certain of medical malpractice is just plain wrong. God decided he needed her more than you and I. We have to accept that.

Trusted Contributor

If Joan was NOT signing those papers, she would now be able to have the surgery done, the doctors would plainly refuse her.

...and Perkup, Jerry Lee expressed her opinion and how in pain she is now!

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Trusted Contributor

We have no idea what happened. She could have had cardiac arrest sitting in her living room or even on the air. Let's withhold judgment and let the medical experts determine the cause of death. And none of us know her medical history.
Valued Contributor

On 9/4/2014 Alsee said: We have no idea what happened. She could have had cardiac arrest sitting in her living room or even on the air. Let's withhold judgment and let the medical experts determine the cause of death. And none of us know her medical history.

Well said.

Good grief, I'm shocked by some of these posts. No one can be sure of anything that went on there...and it's not our business. It happened to my son in his early 20's(he stopped breathing during an Endoscopy but was revived), it just happens.

Trusted Contributor

Very true Patty. Always a rush to blame with no facts to back it up. And my sincere sympathy over the loss of your son
Super Contributor

There is ALWAYS a significant risk with any procedure like that -- to blame the med staff is ridiculous. It's not like she was at the free clinic getting care from an overworked staff... She could afford much better care than most of us will ever have.

And I think maybe your reaction is over the top. I was truly upset when my father died, but I would never have that kind of reaction over a celebrity I've never met.

Valued Contributor

On 9/4/2014 Alsee said: Very true Patty. Always a rush to blame with no facts to back it up. And my sincere sympathy over the loss of your son

I will correct that...he was revived but stopped breathing during an Endoscopy. It can happen to anyone, anytime, regardless of where they are or who is performing the procedure.

It's always a risk.

Regular Contributor

On 9/4/2014 PpprMintPatty said:
On 9/4/2014 Alsee said: We have no idea what happened. She could have had cardiac arrest sitting in her living room or even on the air. Let's withhold judgment and let the medical experts determine the cause of death. And none of us know her medical history.

Well said.

Good grief, I'm shocked by some of these posts. No one can be sure of anything that went on there...and it's not our business. It happened to my son in his early 20's, it just happens.

I agree. I'm younger than Joan. I went in for out-patient surgery and had to sign stacks of papers. I ended up in ICU. It wasn't the doctors fault at all. It was in recovery, they did not watch my blood pressure. ANY TIME you go under anesthetic even for dental work you are in danger. I noticed Joan seemed more and more tired in the last few segments on the Q. I'm not surprised at this.

Trusted Contributor

Why does someone always have to be held accountable? Let the investigation take place, but really there is NO risk free surgery. Young people die having very minor procedures done. Plus, as stated above, she may have been going to have a heart attack wherever she was. We all feel sad, but blaming someone isn't going to help. She was a very lively woman, but that doesn't mean she didn't have any health problems. We need to be happy that she could live the life she wanted - working and keeping very busy - till the end. More than many people can do.