Respected Contributor

Re: I can't believe she said that!

Whenever I hear or see the word maize, I immediately think of Michigan - and being a Buckeye - not in a good way.  Just kidding.  Sort of.

Esteemed Contributor

Like many of on here, I lived in another country and pronounce some words the way that was said there.  Listening to others who might know another way of saying things is how we learn.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This country was made up of so many different speaking people from all over the world.  Words became pronounced different in many parts of the country.  Its not a big deal, much ado about nothing.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

LOL  We say "mayz" but she was obviously using the Spanish pronounciation. 

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

The host should have know how to pronouce that color, I learned that word in grade school.

@blackhole99   She does know how to pronounce it.  You just learned a different pronunciation.  That's not unfamiliar to someone who has lived in different parts of the world that words are pronounced differently in different cultures and even in different regions of the USA.  When in Rome or wherever, I always tried to do as the host country so I would not look like I did not accept their culture.

@Nonametoday  I agree words are pronounced differently in some parts of the world and even regionally, but a simple word like maize we  all learned as kids, come on.  I would prefer she care enough to pronounce a simple word the way most of the country is used to hearing it.

Esteemed Contributor

The word for corn in French is maïs, pronounced like my-eese in English. My guess is that instead of saying “yellow’´ Lori felt that the French word for the color of corn was far more sophistiqué.

Honored Contributor

Maize with an "a"

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

@PA Mom-mom 

Thank you very much!  I had never heard that word spoken in Spanish.  I appreciate your expertise! 

@this is my nic  To correct the record, I'm NO expert! I think I got a C in Spanish is high school...hahaha!

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Very few people can pronounce my surname.   Don't know why:   It's the same as a well-known scientist..............

Come on, now.  I'm sure we all know how to pronounce Einstein!  Smiley Very Happy   Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought one of the hosts must've said something totally outrageous.

And then I find out it's simply someone pronouncing a word differently?  The shock!  Smiley Surprised