Honored Contributor

Re: I can't believe she said that!

You can google "how to pronounce maize in Spanish" ....

Frequent Contributor

Because we should all be exactly the same?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

It seems a word is  pronounced according to the language that we speak or the way we're comfortable saying it, rather than the way the word was initially pronounced in its origin. If English is your primary language, you pronounce maize "mayz". If you speak or think in Spanish, you relate it to the word for corn and pronounce it  "mah-ees". Another example of a bastardization, if you will, of a word is the way many English-speaking people pronounce the French word voila as "walla" when it would correctly be pronounced "vuah-lah" since the "v" is supposed to be pronounced. 

Good point.  We appropriate a word, change the pronunciation and suddenly anyone who doesn't say it the way we do is wrong.  Sad but true.

Valued Contributor

The correct spelling is Maiz Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Texasmouse wrote:

It seems a word is  pronounced according to the language that we speak or the way we're comfortable saying it, rather than the way the word was initially pronounced in its origin. If English is your primary language, you pronounce maize "mayz". If you speak or think in Spanish, you relate it to the word for corn and pronounce it  "mah-ees". Another example of a bastardization, if you will, of a word is the way many English-speaking people pronounce the French word voila as "walla" when it would correctly be pronounced "vuah-lah" since the "v" is supposed to be pronounced. 

same as with beaucoup being pronounced and spelled "bookoo". Makes me crazy!

The color is spelled maize.

Honored Contributor

Very few people can pronounce my surname.   Don't know why:   It's the same as a well-known scientist..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Texasmouse   As one who speaks French as a second language, when I see people write wallah or whatever they do with the word voila, it is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.  However, maize (Spanish pronunciation) and maize (English pronunciation) is a totally different thing.  These are not bastardizations for the word.  They are the same as the Spanish pronunciation for Jesus and the English pronunciation.  Lots of things said in the Bible also said in Greek and then later in Aramaic or in Hebrew.  Same words are also spelled different in the Bible, one book to the next.  Life goes on.  No big deal but walla bothers me a whole lot.  Nobody ever said it that way except one who had no idea how to say it or what it meant.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

Good point.  We appropriate a word, change the pronunciation and suddenly anyone who doesn't say it the way we do is wrong.  Sad but true.

Right!  As someone who has had to learn several languages (living abroad), I appreciate it when someone pronounces a foreign word with the pronunciation that I know is the original one.  The one I consider to be appropriate. 

The QVC hosts routinely muck up French words!

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom 

Thank you very much!  I had never heard that word spoken in Spanish.  I appreciate your expertise! 

Respected Contributor

@september wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

Right!  As someone who has had to learn several languages (living abroad), I appreciate it when someone pronounces a foreign word with the pronunciation that I know is the original one.  The one I consider to be appropriate. 

The QVC hosts routinely muck up French words!