Honored Contributor

Wearing a slip is like wearing nylons. A thing of the past.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Not for those of us that care what they look like...

everything old is new again for someone

Honored Contributor

I always wear a slip under dresses and skirts.  Target, Walmart, Penneys, etc. all still carry slips.

Honored Contributor

I own a lot of slips in my lengths.  All are Vanity Fair.  Vanity Fair has an outlet store in PA and I shop there a few times a year, so I have a lot of  VF lingerie.

If I wear a dress or skirt, which isn't too often, I wear a slip underneath unless there is a lining in the garment.  It makes the dress hang better, stops the see through and riding up if pencil skirt.  

A slip will make an inexpensive fabric look and feel better.  Looking great never goes out of style.

speaking of our of style...I remember giggling at my grandmother's panties that covered her upper thighs and legs.  Now they are being sold as " fresh and new" and sold to be worn under dresses.  Talk about granny panties!

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Wearing a slip is like wearing nylons. A thing of the past.

I read that Kate, the Dutchess of Cambridge, wears slips and nylons and she looks just fine to me. Apparently, she disagrees with you....

Honored Contributor

When I was a girl petti-pants were popular. You could wear  them under culottes , and under mini skirts ,for modesty @Carmie 

Honored Contributor

@cherry   I remember petti-pants.  I had  a pair when I was really young, but hated them.  I was pretty skinny and they ballooned under my dress and felt bulky.  They were like the bloomers worn during the civil war period.  Mine were white cotton with a small ruffle at the bottom and trimmed  with eyelet lace with a satin pink ribbon running through the holes in the lace.

My mini skirts were too short for petti-pants, they would have have been longer than my skirt. I never saw anyone wear petti-pants under a mini skirt, in fact, never saw petti-pants at all during my teen years. 

I never wore culottes either...I never liked the look of them and thank goodness, they were already out of style by the time I was a teen.

ah, those were the days......

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Maybe slips will return.

In a tank style.

There used to be a specifically named fabric that was slightly thick-ish, which smoothed everything worn on top.

I cannot think of the name of that fabric.  It wasn't nylon, but ___________?

'Anyway', I just don't understand why slips aren't still widely available.

Much better than having to wear all of those body shapers, etc.

Especially now-a-days, with all of the knit dresses that we wear.

Tricot?

Honored Contributor

Re: I bought a slip today

[ Edited ]

You must have worn micro minis @Carmie . The petti pants i owned were tight to the body and short

Super Contributor

I don't like the look , especially on a sunny day, of the outline of legs all the way up to crotch level seen through a skirt.

That is why I like wearing a slip.