Honored Contributor

Re: I am so over this bell sleeve craze. What is next?!

[ Edited ]

@MomCatwrote:

I wore a blouse with bell sleeves many years ago, and I got so tired of dragging the sleeve across food, or anything else in the way.  I would never purchase another one, but if someone has the patience to remember to keep the sleeves out of everything, go for it!  Too high maintenance for me. 

@MomCat

And someone who demonstrated how bell sleeves drag in the food was when I saw Stacey, David Venable's co-host on ITKWD wear a belled sleeve top. Stacey did not chose wisely wearing that kind of top in a food show a couple weeks ago............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Isaac thinks the “new” trend (been doing it for a year) is a peplum on everything...shirts, tees, jackets, etc. 

If it’s not a petite, I have a peplum around my a*s and it a great look.

Honored Contributor

Seriously, I love details in clothing.  I think details make clothing look high end.  I like the short or three quarter length bell sleeves. I really like poet blouses, too. I am tired of plain. For me it's all in the details of the garment.  Gathers and pleats in the right places, peplums, interesting collars, and so on.  Only downside I see as details cost more!

Respected Contributor

If I like a trend I might buy one of it.  I did buy a 3/4 sleeve with a small bell.  That way I am not left with a bunch of out of date stuff. 

As far as the cold shoulder I am just not crazy about it for me.  I do think it can look okay on others.

Trusted Contributor

You would think some stores would still carry quality made, classic fashions. No. We used to have to pay more for the well made, classic, quality clothing (shirts that last 10 years!) that you would find at Talbots, Anne Taylor, Anne Taylor Loft and J.Jill. It was worth it to spend more money on their clothes because they lasted years, not anymore. Those same stores now produce fashions made of cheap, flimsy material, that start looking old after the fourth wash. I’ve looked around a lot this season and read many clothing reviews. All clothing manufacturers seem to be making what I call disposable clothing right now and charging more and more for their sub-standard fashions. Some (very few) look pretty, but are not made to last and designers know it. While for some this season’s bell sleeves, “ditsy” ruffles, and fussy styles are wonderful, many of us prefer classic (not conservative), tailored styles. You can’t find anything like that out in the stores right now, and if you do, it’s of poor quality. I’ve not seen one clothing item on QVC this season that I want to buy. That’s a first in 26 years! Younger shoppers never experienced the extremely high quality clothing of the 80s and early 90s. Materials didn’t pill or snag, and they were lite weight without being flimsy. Like I said, when you bought a pair of quality pants or a shirt, if you washed it on delicate or hand washed, it could last you up to 10 years. The clothing was phenomenal back then! Anyway, having experienced that quality for so many years, and now seeing what they are passing off as clothing at such high prices, makes me disgusted. I wish everyone could have experienced what fashion was like back then. Though maybe that wouldn’t be such a good thing as there would be a lot of disappointed people going off on a “good old days” rant right now.😾