Super Contributor

Re: I am going back to a top loader washing machine

My sister also has a Speed Queen top loader.  She loves it.  It has manual controls and she has never had anything go wrong with it.  I have had a Whirlpool Duet (front loader) set for about 8 years.  I have never felt like it got my clothes as clean as my old top loader because of the lack of water it uses.  I add a scoop of baking soda to the loads so that they will smell cleaner.   I think my next  washer will be a top loader.  

Honored Contributor

'Can't go wrong' (more or less) with long-lasting manual controls.  And the knobs/switches are easier to replace/repair, too. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Yes, stainless steel tubs are the best.  Rust-free, and mold-free.  Also enamel coated steel, but stainless is best, imo.  Keep away from plastics, as they attract mold, and not easy to rinse away/clean off any mold.  Also, always keep the lid up (unless children/pets are climbers, etc.) when not in use.  To let the air dry out the tub, etc. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

@dex wrote:

I like the idea of using the bulky items selection but I think the machine weighs the clothing and still gives water accordingly...will give it a go though.I think using flings might not be a good idea because that coating has to dissolve and there isn't much water so it might stay on your clothing.

When I first tried this, I paused the washer mid wash cycle and opened up my top loader to peek inside and the tub was filled all the way with water. I also tried this with a smaller load and the same thing happened. 

Honored Contributor

I don't understand all the problems with front loaders "stinking".  I have a Whirlpool front loader that I purchased at Costco over 8 years ago.  I leave the door ajar when not using and very occasionally run bleach through the clean cycle it has - I probably only remember a couple times a year.  There is no odor.  My clothes are clean.  So far I have not had a service call.  

Honored Contributor

I don't want one where I have to leave the door open. I live in an old house with the laundry room by the back door and I have no way to separate the washer and dryer from the rest of the house. I don't want my cats to be able to get inside the machines. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

GOOD FOR YOU!!  Everything is usually replaced with more expensive models like the front loading washing machines.  I agree with you on the top loader.  For the gentle cycle the agitator moves slowly or you can also use a mesh bag for delicate items and I believe the top loader really gets your clothes cleaner.  That's really a shame about your front loader,  Six years for a washer is not that old.  I hope this new one works out for you.  :Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Samsung sure seems to be having problems.  We just bought a smaller screen Samsung Smart TV for our cottage and the picture seems too dark.  I cannot find a way in Settings to correct this.  Wish we had bought another LG like we have at home.  Oh, back to the washer.  I have a Maytag front loader.  Low water usage and IT GETS THE CLOTHES CLEAN, cleaner than any machine I've ever had.  I watch that stuff tossing in the window and wonder how it possibly can.  Perhaps its the new detergents.  The door is  left open, more by chance than on purpose.  The laundry room door is always closed so there never has been a reason to keep the machine closed for appearances sake.  No mold whatsoever. 

Super Contributor

I can emphasize...We first bought a Sears Front Loader based upon Consumer Reports Recommendation.  I loved how well it worked, fast, the cycles were a bit long but I could deal with it.  Then 3 months problems, then 6 months more problems - good thing we had a service contract.  Everything in that machine was replaced  just about.  Sears would not give us our money back  - after having the repairman at our our two or threes times a year after five years I decided to get another washer.

We bought a Maytag commercial front loader.  I went with the front loaders because I have rheumatoid arthritis in my wrists and shoulders and pulling up on clothes is painful for me.

Again we purchased the service contract from Lowes this time after 1 year we got the code E3 only to find out Lowes no longer had anyone in our area to fix our machine!  To Lowes credit they promptly refunded our money.

Enter in Speed Queen old fashioned top loader - yup I have to have help sometimes with sheets or heayy towels because pulling up on the wet clothes hurts my wrists and shoulders...So far so good - been 4 years...

We found out from Lowes that the  front loaders have plastic bearings instead of metal and that the water wreaks havoc with the electronics and they are made to only last 5 years or so - the same as the fridge...

I could not believe what I was hearing...we worry about recycling paper and our land fills are filling up with washers, fridges and other big appliances...geez - who can afford to replace these major appliances at this rate...

To those that have older front loaders - hang onto them - don't upgrade - get them repaired Smiley Wink