Trusted Contributor

Re: I am going back to a top loader washing machine

@granny me wrote:

@Justholdingon wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@dex wrote:

I hate these low water level stinky machines...give me back my old school great agitating,lots of water,get the job done and leave the clothes clean machine.My son has an old style cheap set that does a better job than my fancy new age stuff.Sometimes I think my clothes smelled better on the way in than out...yuck.

I agree  - I had to get a new washer 6 months ago and the water levels are so low that I have to do twice as many loads - where is the water savings in that?

I had the same problem with my washer until I figured out I can pick the bulky setting as if I were washing a comforter. This way, I can put the regular amount of clothes to fill up the washer and there will be a high level of water too. 

Hope this helps @151949

I have a setting that says bulky sheets and one that says deep wash. I doesn't matter how much or how little I put in it only fills to barely the level of the clothes. I want to know why my clothes don't have that nice smell like they used to have. I am using the exact same products. Any idea?

@granny me I think they changed the detergents.  I noticed the same with same machine and products.  I add a fabric softener and a scent booster and everything smells amazing for weeks

Super Contributor

I hate my Cabrio washer...it's only 4 years old but I am getting rid of it as soon as I can afford to.  The "stinky smell" can be taken care of by using a product to wash the washer...I think it's made by Tide - although the concept seems ridiculous to me, it does work.  What I have trouble with is having to distribute the wash load - no matter what size load I use, although the lighter loads are more problematic.  I want a washer that I can put the clothes in and have it do the job without constantly running downstairs to reshift  the load...doesn't seem like too much to ask.

Esteemed Contributor

I absolutely hate by front loader GE Efficiency washer. Nothing ever seems as clean as a top loader. It's the low water. My l8 year old top loader was beautiful. Everything came out beautifully clean and smelling clean. Now, not enough water, not good agitation. Nothing good about it. It has all the perks, but laundry day is a bad day.

Honored Contributor

I like the idea of using the bulky items selection but I think the machine weighs the clothing and still gives water accordingly...will give it a go though.I think using flings might not be a good idea because that coating has to dissolve and there isn't much water so it might stay on your clothing.

Honored Contributor

Where I live moxt of the homes were built with new appliances 6 years ago - they were all GE builder grade - for the first 5 years all was well. This year so far - and most of us have just gotten here for the season - I and neighbor 2 houses down bought new washers - 2 have had to buy a fridge - numerous dishwashers and garbage disposals. My cousin is an appliance repairman and he is busy in our plan every day - all day, which is good for him but for those of us paying - not so much. Oddly - all these appliances have a 5 year warranty and - yes - they all made it to the 6th year. 

Super Contributor

I had my Fridgedaire top loader for over 20 yrs.  I unfortunately replaced it with a front loader 2 years ago & I've already had to service it once.  It also stinks like no body's business.  I just used the Tide washing machine cleaner to get the stink out.  This is also expensive.  When it goes out for good I will never ever buy a front loader again!

Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

Speed Queen makes top loading washing machines that work like the traditional ones. (They have an optional Eco cycle, which uses less water, but you can ignore that.) Mine has manual controls; they also make one with digital controls. 

I like that you can open the lid at any time during a cycle. Also, this washer let's me use hot water when I want to. Most modern washers add cold water to bring the temperature to lukewarm. 

Speed Queen washers are built to last (they make mostly commercial washers and only a few residential models). Ours has a big stainless steel tub, and it seems to be gentle on clothes. My MIL steared us towards Speed Queen, after she bought one. We've been very satisfied. 

Trusted Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I posted maybe a month ago about needing a new washing machine. My 6 year old Samsung has been fixed 3 times and is still leaking water. I went to Lowes and ended up buying a Whirlpool Cabrio, the big one. I got a great price on sale plus a military discount and I had $550 worth of gift cards that I won in a work contest. The washer also had a $50 rebate so when all is said and done, I got it for free with those gift cards. I am so excited, and can't wait to get rid or that front loader with all the problems and the difficulty keeping it from molding. The new machine is being delivered on Thursday. The salesman told me that his mother and father went with a toploader and replaced their Whirlpool duet because of the mold problem. 

I hope that you love yours as much as I love mine!Heart

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Honored Contributor

I was also in a situation that severely limited my choices, so I have had a large front loader and accompanying dryer for the last month.

SO FAR, I LOVE our set.

It is the largest Kenmore Elite Stacker, and I have been doing EXACTLY what the use manual says, and my laundry comes out wonderfully clean and relatively wrinkle free. 

My washer has the magnet door that keeps the door open after the wash cycle is finished, and I do wipe the gasket off carefully after using the washer.

The little extra steps are fine with me as long as the machine keeps working so well.

Super Contributor

Another thing that irritates me about the machine is that I have dog hair in so many nook & crannies I can't reach.