Valued Contributor

Re: I am going back to a top loader washing machine

I had to give up my old agitator washer that I could choose the fill level last week. I bought a top loading Maytag. I didn't realize when I bought the washer it decided how much water to use, and once it starts washing the lid locks so if I forget anything out of luck. I always use the Gain Flings and my towels and sheets would always come out smelling so fresh now my clothes feel like they are hardly wet when they come out of the washer and they do not smell nice. I hate the washer!! It reminds of low flush toliets I hate those too.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I hate these low water level stinky machines...give me back my old school great agitating,lots of water,get the job done and leave the clothes clean machine.My son has an old style cheap set that does a better job than my fancy new age stuff.Sometimes I think my clothes smelled better on the way in than out...yuck.

I agree  - I had to get a new washer 6 months ago and the water levels are so low that I have to do twice as many loads - where is the water savings in that?

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@dex wrote:

I hate these low water level stinky machines...give me back my old school great agitating,lots of water,get the job done and leave the clothes clean machine.My son has an old style cheap set that does a better job than my fancy new age stuff.Sometimes I think my clothes smelled better on the way in than out...yuck.

I agree  - I had to get a new washer 6 months ago and the water levels are so low that I have to do twice as many loads - where is the water savings in that?

My new washer has a presoak and extra rinse cycle, well if you could fill up the machine I wouldn't need to do both of the extra steps. It now takes forever to do a load a laundry. 

Super Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@dex wrote:

I had the same problem with my washer until I figured out I can pick the bulky setting as if I were washing a comforter. This way, I can put the regular amount of clothes to fill up the washer and there will be a high level of water too. 

Hope this helps @151949

Valued Contributor

@Justholdingon wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@dex wrote:

I had the same problem with my washer until I figured out I can pick the bulky setting as if I were washing a comforter. This way, I can put the regular amount of clothes to fill up the washer and there will be a high level of water too. 

Hope this helps @151949

I have a setting that says bulky sheets and one that says deep wash. I doesn't matter how much or how little I put in it only fills to barely the level of the clothes. I want to know why my clothes don't have that nice smell like they used to have. I am using the exact same products. Any idea?

Respected Contributor

@granny me wrote:

I had to give up my old agitator washer that I could choose the fill level last week. I bought a top loading Maytag. I didn't realize when I bought the washer it decided how much water to use, and once it starts washing the lid locks so if I forget anything out of luck. I always use the Gain Flings and my towels and sheets would always come out smelling so fresh now my clothes feel like they are hardly wet when they come out of the washer and they do not smell nice. I hate the washer!! It reminds of low flush toliets I hate those too.

I have a Maytag Bravos top loader that's about 4-5 years old & if I need to add something after the lid locks itself, I can press the Start/Pause button.  It stops the machine & unlocks the lid so I can open it & add whatever or sometimes I need to shift things around when it starts to make a noise on heavy loads like towels & things get out of balance in the tub & when I'm done, I shut the lid & hit Start/Pause again & it locks the lid & picks up where I stopped it.  You might check your owner's manual & see if your machine has this feature.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Speed Queen makes top loading washing machines that work like the traditional ones. (They have an optional Eco cycle, which uses less water, but you can ignore that.) Mine has manual controls; they also make one with digital controls. 

I like that you can open the lid at any time during a cycle. Also, this washer let's me use hot water when I want to. Most modern washers add cold water to bring the temperature to lukewarm. 

Speed Queen washers are built to last (they make mostly commercial washers and only a few residential models). Ours has a big stainless steel tub, and it seems to be gentle on clothes. My MIL steared us towards Speed Queen, after she bought one. We've been very satisfied. 

Honored Contributor

Years ago, in my old house, I got brand new Samsung washer and dryer set. Front loaders. I loved them so much we ended up buying another new set for our new cottage that we just built and moved into. Love, love my front loader Samsung washer! Never had any problems with the four that I've owned the past 8 years. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@granny me wrote:

@Justholdingon wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@dex wrote:

Hope this helps @151949

I have a setting that says bulky sheets and one that says deep wash. I doesn't matter how much or how little I put in it only fills to barely the level of the clothes. I want to know why my clothes don't have that nice smell like they used to have. I am using the exact same products. Any idea?

Sadly, I do not have a setting like this. I tried to wash the mattress cover and when the load was done it was still dry in some areas so I took it and the comforter to the laundromat. I hate hate hate this washer. It will probably never break down and I'll have it the rest of my life.

Trusted Contributor

My 17 year old Kenmore washer finally gave out and with some troubles over the past year with the dryer control panel I decided to replace both.  Also got the Whirlpool Cabrio set and love them.  I wanted a top loader and decided against electronic controls which tend to break.  Even the salesman said I would not be happy comparing old to anything new.  As far as I am concerned they make them to be disposable these days.

So far I am thrilled with the machines.  I do smaller loads on bulky and deeper water level.  Clothes come out clean and fresh.  Dryer is great as well.  Hopefully they last a few years with no issues!