Respected Contributor

I am going back to a top loader washing machine

I posted maybe a month ago about needing a new washing machine. My 6 year old Samsung has been fixed 3 times and is still leaking water. I went to Lowes and ended up buying a Whirlpool Cabrio, the big one. I got a great price on sale plus a military discount and I had $550 worth of gift cards that I won in a work contest. The washer also had a $50 rebate so when all is said and done, I got it for free with those gift cards. I am so excited, and can't wait to get rid or that front loader with all the problems and the difficulty keeping it from molding. The new machine is being delivered on Thursday. The salesman told me that his mother and father went with a toploader and replaced their Whirlpool duet because of the mold problem. 

Respected Contributor

Re: I am going back to a top loader washing machine

Sorry, I put this in fashion by mistake. 

Respected Contributor

We love our front loader. Have had it ten years. No problem. Love the capacity. 

Honored Contributor

We've had out GE profile top loader for almost 20 years and it's never needed service. I dread having to replace it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I have my first set of front loader and dryer (Fridgedaire) purchased in 2008 and have been very happy with it but was shocked when it started smelling inside.  I bought the deoderizing stuff and it worked for a little while and came back .... I was told to open the door and keep it open an inch or so and also pull out the drawer an inch or so.... never have had the stink back (which is what I think is the beginning of the mold problem!)  I'm able to do it in the most ridiculously small laundry room on the planet without anyone getting hung up on the drawer!

BUT I am positive I'll go back to a top loader the next time.... Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I know, I kept my door open. Mine is in the garage in Florida and maybe that has something to do with it. It is very humid here especially in the summer. 

Honored Contributor

I hate these low water level stinky machines...give me back my old school great agitating,lots of water,get the job done and leave the clothes clean machine.My son has an old style cheap set that does a better job than my fancy new age stuff.Sometimes I think my clothes smelled better on the way in than out...yuck.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like you did well @conlt.   I have my mom's dryer which was newer than mine and the washer I bought in 1995, but when they go I'll be getting the simplest machine I can find.   Less to go wrong. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

We've had out GE profile top loader for almost 20 years and it's never needed service. I dread having to replace it. 

Same here; I've had my GE top-loader washer and dryer for 20 years and have never had a problem with either one.

Occasional Contributor

I love my LG Top Load machine.  No agitator so the capacity is great and it's no problem to add something after the cycle started.  And NO stink!!  The dryer is just as awesome with a steam setting to get wrinkles out of clothes.  Love it.