Respected Contributor

There's a blog post about this that I read awhile back, and it has helped me a lot.  

http://recoveringshopaholic.com/saving-clothes-for-good/

Honored Contributor

I used to do this, but not anymore.  I think part of it is from my mother who taught my siblings and I to save our "good clothes" for church and special occasions. Most people don't dress up that much anymore for much of anything.  I still have a few things that I wear only to church and would never wear to work, but there is nothing in my closet waiting to be worn for a special reason. I wear them now and enjoy them now. 

Esteemed Contributor

@April of NY

Hi sia...welcome to the Q forum.

I don't know if this will help modify your behavior, but you might think about saying to yourself, as you're deciding what to wear for the day, something like this:  "TODAY is the day I saved this for!"  Then wear it!

And you have to start training yourself to stop buying things for special occasions..."I already have a [fill in the blank] saved for special."

I used to have a fairly big piece of cardboard in my closet with these words on it:  "Wear what you have!  Shop your closet!"  

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

The article posted here makes some sense, but I don't think it applies to ME.  Over-shopping is over- shopping, no matter what the intent is.  It's sick.  I buy a piece of clothing with a thought in my head about where I will wear that.  Once it goes in the closet, and I don't go to that particular event, it just becomes one of many barely worn garments.  I am ashamed.  I wasn't raised this way.  I admired my mother because when she got rid of clothing they were totally worn out.  My toss outs are practically brand new.  Total waste of money.  Sad.  I'm working to change this.  Making progress, but not there yet. 

Honored Contributor

I have always kept a cocktail dress in case "the occasion arises".     Now I live in Arizona..........and the dress could go into the Smithsonian.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I have always kept a cocktail dress in case "the occasion arises".     Now I live in Arizona..........and the dress could go into the Smithsonian.............

LOL!

Regular Contributor

1sia,

Have you heard of  the New york times Bestseller book, The Life-changing Magic of Tidying: the Japanese Art of decluttering and Organizing" by Marie Kondo?  Maybe you would find it worthwhile to read some of the reviews. It is more than a book on organzing clutter. The Kondo method teaches a complete overhaul of your home and belongings with the goal of changing your life. It's basic premise is learning which possessions bring you the greatest joy-and then organizing those things in a specific way while discarding the rest. She insists that we regularly use, not save our "good" things. Anything not highly prized and regularly used is suggested to be passed on to others. There are many tips on helpful organization and storage, but it seems that the bigger goal is finding our true self by listening to our heart and letting go of anything that doesn't fully enrich our lives. Supposedly, these improvements will carry over into other areas of our lives as well. I am reading the book now in hopes it will help me as I have also had the habit of saving, not savoring, my best things. Below is a description of the book:

"The key to successful tidying is to tackle your home in the correct order, to keep only the things you really love and to do it all at once - and quickly. After that for the rest of your life you only need to choose what to keep and what to discard.

The KonMari Method will not just transform your space. Once you have your house in order you will find that your whole life will change. You can feel more confident, you can become more successful, and you can have the energy and motivation to create the life you want. You will also have the courage to move on from the negative aspects of your life: you can recognise and finish a bad relationship; you can stop feeling anxious; you can finally lose weight. Marie Kondo's method is based on a 'once-cleaned, never-messy-again' approach. If you think that such a thing is impossible then you should definitely read this compelling book." -Amazon.com

Good Luck!

Valued Contributor

I do not buy anything UNLESS, it goes with 3 things I wear.......................