Respected Contributor

Re: I Think I want my Ears Pierced Again

[ Edited ]

Go for it!  I'd go to a tattoo/piercing shop.

I'm thinking of getting a 3rd piercing and I'm 67.  I did it about a dozen years ago at Piercing Pagoda in the mall but didn't like the placement so I let them close up.

I had mine done at my doctor's when I was 13 - in the mid-60s.

In the late 70s my SIL did my second piercing - she's a hair stylist  - she did a great job.  She used a piercing earring, froze my ear with ice and held styrofoam behind it to stablize it.  

Good luck!

Valued Contributor

@Pook , oh my gosh, I thought I was the only one on the planet that got my ears pierced with strings when I was little! I remember I was on a Girl Scout camping trip putting alcohol on and turning those strings. They were so sore when I finally put the gold studs in...all crusty and yucky.  The second piercing was done in a jewelry shop with a "gun".  No problems at all.  I've even had one piercing fixed because the hole got elongated from heavy earings and holding a phone against it.  When it healed I went to a dr. that specifically pierces ears.  Again, no problem at all. I had stopped wearing earrings in my 2nd piercing for a long time.  Now I enjoy using them again.

Esteemed Contributor

Go for it!! I got my first set when I was in my late 20's then got another set in my 30's. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva    there are many YouTube videos about piercing ears by yourself or in mall stores.  There are gadgets sold on Amazon and eBay for piercing yourself at home.

I also was thinking about getting more piercings but like you, I dread the whole healing process.

Valued Contributor

I have 3, run don't walk for your 2nd piercing Woman Wink

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I got my first piercing at 13 by a doctor, then in my 20s went to a department store for my second piercing with the piercing gun.  Don't know what is different about the second piercing, but any time I tried wearing earrings in it, my ears felt hot and sore, and one time one ear got infected. I was very disappointed, because I really like the double piercing.  They never healed over either.

Honored Contributor

You will love it. I had my first at 14 and second at 17.  Now at 57 would feel naked without a two sets of earrings in my ears.  I love to put hoops in first and diamond solitaire studs in second set.  Sometimes I will take very small tiny hoops and put in the second set.  So much to play with.  But I do not feel nor ever desired to go with a third + piercing.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I think a gun is so much better than a needle. It is fast, and it is over before you even realize it

Honored Contributor

Go ahead and do it!

I just wouldn't recommend how I got mine done when I was 16.  A friend, an embroidery needle and an ice cube.Cat Tongue

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes,  I had both my piercings done by a doctor.  I'm 59 and I don't think they had those mall kiosks piercing ears then.  I remember my friend's grandmother did it  for a lot of girls but my mother wouldn't let her do my ears. Our family doctor did it and it was quick and painless and sterile.  Yes, he numbed the ear lobe and used a needle and then put the 14k gold stud in.  My mom bought me the studs as an early birthday present because the doctor insisted on 14k gold because they had to stay in for weeks.  I don't remember but I am sure that there was soreness for a while and I'm sure I had to use alcohol.  I got my second piercing about 20 years ago, once again my a doctor.