Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I Think I want my Ears Pierced Again

I have no idea why but all of a sudden, I really, really want a second piercing in my ears.  The thought of going through the weeks of dealing with a new piercing doesn't appeal to me though.

I had my first piercing when I was 13.  My mom wouldn't let me get them done sooner because I had to be old enough to take care of them fully by myself.  I had them done at the doctor's office.  No mall store for me.  LOL I remember to this day the doctor stuck a needle through my earlobe to numb my ear then jammed the earrings through.  I felt nothing outside of the little needle pinch.  But I do remember the raw feeling for weeks afterwards of having to turn the earrings in my ear and cleaning my ears to make sure they didn't get infected.

I want them pierced but I don't want to deal with the turning and the cleaning and that raw feeling.  Even at 51, I'm nervous about getting them done at a mall store.  I'm not even sure what they use anymore to pierce.  It's my understanding they no longer use piercing guns.   

Honored Contributor

Re: I Think I want my Ears Pierced Again

Oh, go ahead.   Last January, I found an extra (single) diamond stud in my jewelry box (from about 40 years ago).......and I decided I wanted to wear it.   

It only "feels sore" for the first 3 days......and wiping it with peroxide every day is no big deal  !!!!!    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I had mine pierced at a "mall shop" when I was in my 30s.   I think I'm the only one in my entire family that does have pierced ears.

I have very small earlobes ... there s no room for another piercng!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love my second ear piercing in both ears and like @Desertdi , I wear a small diamond stud in the top one and usually a hoop earring in the lower one, for casual wear.

For dressy occasions, I wear a small diamond stud in the upper one and a larger diamond stud in the lower one.

Mine were no big deal with healing, etc.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

What I did when I got my second piercings is mark the exact spot on my earlobe with a liner pencil or something like that. So when you go and get them pierced they'll know exactly where you want them. 

Trusted Contributor

Go for it!  I am 65.  I've had a second pierce in each ear for about 25 years.  It is a decision that I have never regretted.  I wear a yellow gold hoop earring in the original pierce and a small diamond stud in the second pierce about 90% of the time.  When I wear white gold hoops I have small diamonique studs for the second pierce because I obsess about matching metals.  I still love the look after all these years.  

Respected Contributor

Why not check it out by watching at the mall and see if it still appeals to you.

Honored Contributor

I had mine done by my doctor many years ago.  Well, I wish I had gone to a mall store.  He got one in the wrong place, it didn't match the other one at all.  I poured myself a good stiff martini and re-pierced it with the stud myself.  No problems with infection.  

Esteemed Contributor

Is there a tattoo/piercing shop around?

I know someone who does that for a living; she trained and got a certification in order to practice the skill.  She does all kinds of piercing.

Of course, not all facilities operate at the same level.  I guess what I am saying is I would want  to know about the protocol of whomever did it (and of course you would do that!).  Just chiming in.

My friend's Mom pierced mine in the dining room of her house, with ice cubes and a sewing needle.  Yuck.  They did get infected but still exist to this day, many decades later.  I always wear earrings.

I don't think I could do it again, but I think it would be fun to have extras.  I wonder if it's easier if you go through the top part rather than the lobe (mine are really fat lobes).

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  Just do it if you really want it!  I have 5 in each ear and the only one that was a problem was the first that was done at the doctor's office when I was 12.  He put strings in my ears that I had to pull around every day and clean with alcohol several times a day.  The other 4 I got in my early 20s were easy and actually were mostly healed in a few days.