Honored Contributor

Re: I Love (and Dread) Shopping For…

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I dread pant shopping and shoe shopping....and while I love shoes, it's tough when one foot is about 1/2 size difference.  One shoe fits pretty good, the other slips.

Today I got a pair from Zappos...only because they have free returns...one shoe squeaks!   I'll see if I can 'fit' it before sending back.  I almost never buy shoes on line but the price was great and free shipping won me over.

@Mom2Dogs 

"Foot Smart" has great shoe liners which can be used to tighten up a shoe.

Respected Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@wilma   I dread shopping for bras.  Between all the different manufacturers, then they all have different styles, the sizes don't always jive.  Padded, push up, underwire, color, fabric.....I end up going into the dressing room with so many, I exceed the limit and the clerk sets the rest aside for me to try on.  And then I'm lucky if I find one that fits just right.....like Goldilocks.  And that's not even looking at the price tag.  👙

I like buying jeans.  I know what I like and what looks good on me.  I only have to try on a few to get a good fit.  👖

@SloopJohnBOMG, we could be shopping twins!  Bra shopping is a nightmare for me, I'm lucky to find one that fits right after trying on twenty or more.  With jeans I can almost hold them up, look at them and know if they'll fit and look good on me.

@decaf  Exactly.... I can hold them up against me and find a mirror and pretty much judge them from that.  Must be a South Florida thing.  😅

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I can't think of anything that I "dread" shoppng for.

I inherited some fairly strong "shopping genes" ... my mother, sister, aunt ... nieces ... all marathon shoppers.  

I "LOVE" shoppng ... and the THRILL of the hunt!

@ALRATIBA You took the words right out of my mouth!!Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love shopping for most everything except jeans or pants. I have thick thighs and when I find something that fits my thighs, it's way too big in the waisr and stomach area. I have to physically go to a store(s) and try pants or jeans on. Everything else I can order with very few returns.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to love shopping, but since the kids are all grown they shop for themselves....and being retired, I really can't justify wandering deserted malls or partially-stocked stores looking for something I really don't need. Much more fun to shop for all the grandkids! I do dread shopping for DH because it is impossible to buy something he will wear. He could not care less about clothes and would look like a homeless person if it weren't for my efforts. I much prefer doing any shopping now online in my jammies! 

Honored Contributor

For a few years now, the worst for me is shopping for a handbag.

I've always been fussy as I like a shoulderbag, however the strap(s) have to be comfortable.  I don't like outside zippers as I feel like they're too junky or severe looking and that goes for high end.

Has to be big enough as my wallet is rather large and it's a necessity so I'm not downsizing.

I don't care if the body of the bag is huge and has no structure, I'm never in that much of a hurry to look through for whatever and I don't carry a lot of *junk*.

And the hardest part is finding a bag that is cruelty free.  I'm not happy with companies that make cork bags, but still offer leather, lambskin and the sides of ponies.

I really baby my handbags and they do last so I haven't purchased a new one in years.  Very difficult to find the perfect bag for me.....

Trusted Contributor

I used to really enjoy shopping. Since I retired I don't need as much. I still like to shop, but now I have to ask myself, do I need that? Or, where will I wear it? There's nothing I really dread shopping for. Bottoms are harder for me than tops. I'm tall and need at least a 30" inseam. I have a thicker waist, average hips, a flat butt and thin legs. So if pants fit in the waist, they're too big everywhere else. I have to say the thick elastic waistbands have been a Godsend for me. Now I have pants and jeans that actually fit. I do have jeans with a regular waistband and zipper,but since I wear most of my tops out, I like the clean line I get without zippers bulging and belt loops sticking out.

Honored Contributor

Shoes....my centipede days are over, but I need to cull the wreckage of my past.

Trusted Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

For a few years now, the worst for me is shopping for a handbag.

I've always been fussy as I like a shoulderbag, however the strap(s) have to be comfortable.  I don't like outside zippers as I feel like they're too junky or severe looking and that goes for high end.

Has to be big enough as my wallet is rather large and it's a necessity so I'm not downsizing.

I don't care if the body of the bag is huge and has no structure, I'm never in that much of a hurry to look through for whatever and I don't carry a lot of *junk*.

And the hardest part is finding a bag that is cruelty free.  I'm not happy with companies that make cork bags, but still offer leather, lambskin and the sides of ponies.

I really baby my handbags and they do last so I haven't purchased a new one in years.  Very difficult to find the perfect bag for me.....

@Lucky Charm 

I have been interested in cork handbags, but have never seen one in person. Have you found them to be durable? If so, from any specific source or just in general? TIA😊

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I can't think of anything I've dreaded shopping for when it comes to clothes and shoes.