Trusted Contributor

Re: I Just Bought 5 Winter 🧥🧥🧥🧥🧥

You are an example of loving ones neighbor.  Blessings to you.  Land's End has been running 50% off on lots of winter items including coats.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono 

You are a wonderful person, thank you for doing this for others, who have less than you do

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

How sweet you are.  That family will enjoy the coats and your kindness  Cheers  to youSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono   Last year I bought the greatest army green coat at Target.  It has a hood and the fur is detachable and it's above the knee.  It is very warm and I ended up paying $50 or slightly less because of a sale.  You have to shop around at Target but can find some really nice pieces.  That is nice of you to be so generous.  I personally cannot afford to do that but I give what I can to Shriners Hospital and St. Jude.  I have participated in food drives too.  It's a good feeling in your heart when you can help pthers less fortunate.   Happy Holidays.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

That was very nice of you. I buy a lot of clothing from Target. The quality is good and they are stylish. 

Valued Contributor

Thank you for this post @lolakimono . You really are a beautiful, inspiring person! Your gifts of  the coats make such a difference to these families. Being warm in winter is everything.   I do try to purchase  at least 2 coats for our local homeless shelter and I will check out these suggestions. 

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@lolakimono 

You are a kind and generous soul. Your Target selections are perfect and I know the family is going to be so happy!

This afternoon I was at a local grocery and I noticed paper ornaments on a holiday tree. Upon further inspection a child's name was written on each ornament with items they would like for Christmas. I only read a few, but there was nothing over the top. I read hats, mittens, Vikings jersey, puzzles and books.

I am sure my husband and I will be running around tomorrow. Your post reminds me to stop at the grocery to pluck a few ornaments off the tree and brighten the holidays for a child in need.

@magicmoodz 

You never really know what is going on at home when you see a kid at school.  Some of the anonymous things we read would break your heart.  We have students that arrive via taxi because they are homeless so there is no regular bus.  Kids get dropped off and stand outside wearing fleece blankets, because they don't have coats, Cat Sad

@lolakimono 

So true! Way back when I started a career in criminal justice I worked with adjudicated kids in a day treatment facility. It became obvious to me that sometimes bad behavior is a coping mechanism for feeling/having less than. 

I mentioned the Giving Tree at our grocery to my husband last night and he  is totally on board. It will be fun to go out and find gifts for kids we don't even know. 

As a side note,  at one point the BOE funded a full-time position for a staff member to go to homes picking students up to ensure they showed up for school. Are your homeless families given taxi vouchers?

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz 

Yes, the district pays for their transportation.  If they are homeless, they can attend ANY school in the district.  I saw on the news that there are several homeless families who spend their overnights in the airport, as it's the one place that never closes, is heated, and has access to running water.  

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@magicmoodz 

Yes, the district pays for their transportation.  If they are homeless, they can attend ANY school in the district.  I saw on the news that there are several homeless families who spend their overnights in the airport, as it's the one place that never closes, is heated, and has access to running water.  

@lolakimono 

Heartbreaking!

Honored Contributor

My sister works for a company that runs a coat drive annually. Aside from collecting coats and distributing them usually at a church (there's a process for requesting a coat) they also adopt a class every year.    I've gotten into the habit of checking out end of season sales and picking up kids coats because I know that coat drive will be coming around eventually.  If I buy the coats and my sister should leave the job, so what, I can still donate the coats.

I couldn't believe that I found this coat for a little boy from JCP.  I don't know if Reebok coats for kids really cost $159 or if the MSRP was exaggerated.

Reebok Heavyweight Softshell 3-In-1 System Jacket-Big Kid Boys Husky

It's a 3 in 1 Jacket System and I loved that with one coat, the little boy could have something for winter and something for spring/fall.  $32 for  the coat.  

It gets cold here in Michigan and I can't stand the thought of a kid freezing.  Really I can't stand the thought of anyone freezing.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise