Trusted Contributor

Re: I Have Been Reading Up On The Psychology Of Selling Used By Television Retailers

Excellent comment, Danielle46. And everyone, please remember, what drives QVC is DPM=dollars per minute. That is all they care about. That is how the business survives. Notice that if a product for the day is not doing well they pull it and start one time only items. They have also changed the program schedule when this happens. The hosts are well trained hucksters, likable, but hucksters. Lisa R was able to talk her followers into buying anything. That is why her poor quality GILI handbags would sell out-sorry ladies but they are NOT good. The art of the sale. Whenever Lisa said she thought a color was beautiful, that was the first to sell out-no matter what she was selling. Several posters here have made very accurate assessments.

Go back and reread Porcelain's comment. She really hit it. Then think about all of the times you witness those selling tools.

Honored Contributor

Re: I Have Been Reading Up On The Psychology Of Selling Used By Television Retailers

On 1/20/2015 Danielle46 said:

I have been a marketing executive and consultant for major corporations my entire career. QVC's Sales Technique is basic selling that is geared toward a TV audience. Establishing a relationship with the buyer is the first thing a seller must do along with getting your buyer to trust you & understanding who your buyer is. Every University that teaches sales & marketing will tell you that 98% of the time people will only buy from someone they like & trust (and its true). The posters here who say they don't care are a minority. In addition, I'm amazed by the people who follow LR and think she is their friend or that she cares about them. They only thing she and all other other hosts care about is that your open your wallet and place an order. She was doing a sales job on them and they all took the bait - hook, line and sinker. Of course when we walk into stores to shop we don't require sales people. That type of buyer makes their purchases on their on. The only reason LR continues to stay in touch on FB is because she wants to keep her followers for use in her future plans.

Spot on! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I always felt that her GILI line was expensive poorly made knockoffs of the higher end designs LR owns.

GILI to me was not Get It Love It but Get In Line Idiots!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

On 1/20/2015 kjae said:

Excellent comment, Danielle46. And everyone, please remember, what drives QVC is DPM=dollars per minute. That is all they care about. That is how the business survives. Notice that if a product for the day is not doing well they pull it and start one time only items. They have also changed the program schedule when this happens. The hosts are well trained hucksters, likable, but hucksters. Lisa R was able to talk her followers into buying anything. That is why her poor quality GILI handbags would sell out-sorry ladies but they are NOT good. The art of the sale. Whenever Lisa said she thought a color was beautiful, that was the first to sell out-no matter what she was selling. Several posters here have made very accurate assessments.

Go back and reread Porcelain's comment. She really hit it. Then think about all of the times you witness those selling tools.

This thread is so interesting. You and Porcelain are right imho. People can be gullible to sales ploys. All of us can be.Smiley Happy

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/20/2015 Porcelain said:

- Push/Pull Take Away: Removing items from the screen as colors sell out. Showing items briefly and then whisking them away without saying when they will be shown again, teasing.

The way the QVC hosts employ this is really strange to me. David V gets absolutely manic when a color sells out and it must be removed from the display immediately! Last Sunday he was so woundup about it, as if something terrible would happen if the stagehand didn't remove the red one.

Super Contributor

I have been a marketing executive and consultant for major corporations my entire career. QVC's Sales Technique is basic selling that is geared toward a TV audience. Establishing a relationship with the buyer is the first thing a seller must do along with getting your buyer to trust you & understanding who your buyer is. Every University that teaches sales & marketing will tell you that 98% of the time people will only buy from someone they like & trust (and its true). The posters here who say they don't care are a minority. In addition, I'm amazed by the people who follow LR and think she is their friend or that she cares about them. They only thing she and all other other hosts care about is that your open your wallet and place an order. She was doing a sales job on them and they all took the bait - hook, line and sinker. Of course when we walk into stores to shop we don't require sales people. That type of buyer makes their purchases on their on. The only reason LR continues to stay in touch on FB is because she wants to keep her followers for use in her future plans.

As a person in sales and marketing, you know every aspect of a store - the color scheme, the layout to determine traffic flow, the window displays, the music, the placement of products down to the spacing between items on the shelves, are all done to increase desire for an item, urgency to buy and therefore sales. The stores themselves are the "sales reps". The person walking into a store is being manipulated just as much as one watching a TV shopping channel, just in a different way.

Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2015 Johnnyeager said:

- Push/Pull Take Away: Removing items from the screen as colors sell out. Showing items briefly and then whisking them away without saying when they will be shown again, teasing.

The way the QVC hosts employ this is really strange to me. David V gets absolutely manic when a color sells out and it must be removed from the display immediately! Last Sunday he was so woundup about it, as if something terrible would happen if the stagehand didn't remove the red one.

IMO, all the colors should remain on the TV screen (on the models wearing clothing) because what the hosts do is say 'Oh, its sold out now in that color' and an hour later, the color magically reappears online or if you are online and watching the TV program, the items are NOT sold out just waitlisted.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

On 1/21/2015 Hildegarde Withers said:
On 1/21/2015 JustJazzmom said:

The only reason LR continues to stay in touch on FB is because she wants to keep her followers for use in her future plans.

Spot on! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I always felt that her GILI line was expensive poorly made knockoffs of the higher end designs LR owns.

GILI to me was not Get It Love It but Get In Line Idiots!

LOL

{#emotions_dlg.lol}{#emotions_dlg.lol}{#emotions_dlg.lol}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Super Contributor

On 1/21/2015 Johnnyeager said:

{#emotions_dlg.lol} That is pretty funny, the way they do that. It's like OMG get rid of this color NOW!! Come take this stage hand person NOW I said NOW that one is GONE. It's like the hot potato game when you're a kid.

Like on some of the handbag shows, when a color in a handbag sold out. A few of the hosts would actually THROW the bags off the stage as fast as they could when the color was gone.{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Honored Contributor

It's helpful to be aware of the jargon and that's true whether you're shopping a TV channel or standing in your car dealer's showroom. There are always those catch phrases that show up and the more you're aware, the more sensible your reactions.

I'm not sure at what point I learned the technique, but I definitely used the "broken record" idea many times to my advantage in several different jobs I had.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, and dollars-per-minute is why Amy invited everyone to be part of her pregnancy (even posting pics of the baby right after she was born), Shawn and Courtney invited everyone to participate in their wedding plans, etc. My goodness!!