Honored Contributor

I, For One Will Not Be Doing A Capsule Wardrobe!

[ Edited ]

Quite a few of the bloggers I follow have been recently speaking about the virtues of a capsule wardrobe. 

Twenty to twenty-five pieces may save you a ton of money and be "oh SO wonderful" but I won't be going down that path (and support you if you do).

Personally, I would die of boredom.  There is no way I could stand to be in less than five colors and the rest neutrals, not to mention that I would feel I was wearing the same thing all the time, mixing and matching in that group only, washing those pieces every three days, or I wouldn't have as many choices.  

I have always loved to put color and things together since I was 6 or 7.  I was already refusing to wear and pushing away colors that an olive complexion can't wear (or live in).

My choice is color.  I extend good wishes to the "Capsule People".  Please be happy.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I, For One Will Not Be Doing A Capsule Wardrobe!

The only time that I do anything like that is during change of Seasons.

When colder weather comes, I leave out a few outfits to wear when "Indian Summer" comes. Most of my shorts and short sleeve Summer clothes are all washed and put away.

Honored Contributor

i gave up my blog reading but the capsule wardrobe thing was dull to my mind

Respected Contributor

@ECBG 

Totally agree with you.  I love to read about capsule wardrobes, but for me I love excess!    And I love certain colors at certain times of the year.  

Where I live, we have 4 seasons and I have clothing for each season.  I love to have lots of choices too.  I never understand how some say they have lots of clothing but nothing to wear.  And I have no intentions of paring  down my wardrobe either!  

For those who are able to do the capsule wardrobe, I admire your restraint. The only time I am interested in actually having a capsule wardrobe is when I travel.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do this without even thinking about it.  I tend to wear the same things over and over and over again.  I did this before March and am really doing it now since I am not going anywhere.  There wasn't a "Name for it" its just wearing the same favorite things over and over again.  Why the need to Label things?

In all fairness, I was required to wear a uniform to work so that could be the reason.

Respected Contributor

Twelve years in a navy serge jumper and white blouse cured me forever of pared down wardrobes !

By the time I started college, I really had nothing to wear because slacks were not permitted.  My darling aunt took me to Pendleton's outlet and bought me several reversible wool plaid skirts and sweaters.  The quality was so good that when I graduated she wondered if I would pass them on to her.  I didn't need another good reason to start my professional wardrobe !        ( She wore those skirts for years ! )

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

@ECBG 

Totally agree with you.  I love to read about capsule wardrobes, but for me I love excess!    And I love certain colors at certain times of the year.  

Where I live, we have 4 seasons and I have clothing for each season.  I love to have lots of choices too.  I never understand how some say they have lots of clothing but nothing to wear.  And I have no intentions of paring  down my wardrobe either!  

For those who are able to do the capsule wardrobe, I admire your restraint. The only time I am interested in actually having a capsule wardrobe is when I travel.  

@4kitties To me, a capsule wardrobe is almost exactly like a uniform which I just can't take.  I thrive on variety.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG 

I so agree with you!  The idea of a capsule wardrobe has always struck me as bor-ring to the max.  Like you, I love color and I have no interest in "paring down" my wardrobe.      Variety is the spice of life!  (Someone else can pare down my wardrobe when I'm gone lol.)

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

Agree, boring and I'd probably end up only wearing a few pieces and the rest would sit there while I bought other non-capsule items.

Is this Randolph Duke? He used to sell a similar product on QVC years ago. I never purchased.

Honored Contributor

Linda Dano's approach to fashion is the one that appealed to me.  I bought her book LOOKING GREAT in June 1997 (I just checked purchase date at Amazon), and haven't looked back.

I first saw her on QVC - liked her style - bought the book - and the rest is history.

There's a YouTube video of Linda and Kathy Levine - you can find it via google.