Trusted Contributor

Re: Hyperventilating at the find I picked up in thrift store

I am green with envy! What a score! I am a diehard Goodwill shopper and I favor wearing my finds from there over the clothing I have bought from shopping channels (several things that called my name online and/or from the t.v., only to let me down later).

There have been those here who have frowned on Goodwill shopping for various reasons, all silly to me. One of the silliest arguments is that only the needy should take advantage of the great bargains to be found there. I am proud that I always round up to the next dollar when I shop there, and now we have a couple of beautiful new Goodwill stores near me that employ lots of people and have wonderful job training programs.

Trusted Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

I am green with envy! What a score! I am a diehard Goodwill shopper and I favor wearing my finds from there over the clothing I have bought from shopping channels (several things that called my name online and/or from the t.v., only to let me down later).

There have been those here who have frowned on Goodwill shopping for various reasons, all silly to me. One of the silliest arguments is that only the needy should take advantage of the great bargains to be found there. I am proud that I always round up to the next dollar when I shop there, and now we have a couple of beautiful new Goodwill stores near me that employ lots of people and have wonderful job training programs.

poo on that theory, money is money. anyone who spends it at any thrift store adds to the economy and is not taking away anything from the truly needy. there are tons of places for everyone to get some bargains and many of those are free for needy folks. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Trusted Contributor

So happy about your find ~ it's very exciting when that happens! 

I LOVE shopping Thrift and Goodwill stores ~ we have an great Salvation Army Store that I visit at least once a week : )

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How much FUN is it when you find a GREAT buy at any thrift store. 

Here's what's so freaky funny to me when I visit the Goodwill or Salvation Army or other thrift shops - I've been donating TONS of clothing items for many years.   On occasions I've found some of my stuff in them!!!!  I pull them off the shelf and think, hm, this looks very familiar.  Chances are, it was mine at one time!!!

Trusted Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@60sgirl

That's one for the record books!!!  Doing the happy dance for you!!

OMGOODNESS - thats me !!!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have found MANY great things at Goodwill. Two of my favorites are a CABI black coat in PERFECT condition with beautiful embroidery from the waist up on the back for $18. It also had a dry cleaning tag on it. My guess is that it cost $200+ new.

Another GREAT find is an Andrew Wyeth framed and matted large print called Master Bedroom. I had seen this print in the past and loved it. About 6 months after seeing it and almost ordering it, I walked into my local Goodwill, and there it was! I immediately put it into my cart. It was in PERFECT condition and cost $11.

Respected Contributor

<One of the silliest arguments is that only the needy should take advantage of the great bargains to be found there.>

ITA (that this theory is less than viable) . If only the 'needy' purchased items it would defeat the purpose of making money to put into all of the good that Goodwill does . Of course it is frugal for all income levels to shop/donate / or both!  win -win IMO

Honored Contributor

Our Goodwill is a good one too. I've bought a few pairs of Helfiger jeans in brand new condition.

I had a dress that was purchase for me when I was maid of honor at a friend's wedding. At the time my daughter was about 9 and couldn't wait to grow up and borrow it. When she was about 13 or 14 we found the same dress, tag still on, in a thrift store! And in a size that fit her that day!

Remember the exorbitantly priced Jincos that the kids were wearing in the 90s? Found those too!

Honored Contributor

These stories make me want to go "pop some tags" today!

Esteemed Contributor

That's a nice looking coat and what a price!  Great find.