Respected Contributor

Re: Hunter Green -- can a ""winter"" wear it?

On 10/11/2014 SpoiledRottenGreatDane said:
On 10/10/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Hunter green looks great with pink also. Try it with some of the perfectly pink items.

That sounds like a great color combination. What do you suggest?

I would also pair the Aubergine with the Hunter Green---very lux, very rich looking.

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Honored Contributor

Oh yes, you are right, sheesh!! I have a few aubergine which is a burgundy color for those unfamiliar with the naming of colors.

Aubergine WK skirt

Green multi topLinea by Louis DellOlio Whisper Knit Pencil Skirt

Linea by Louis DellOlio Zig Zag Patterned V Neck Top

Brick red multi top can be paired with aubergine skirt above too.

Linea by Louis DellOlio Zig Zag Patterned V Neck Top

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

On 10/7/2014 PilatesLover said:

How does one find a consultant to determine what season you are? I suspect I'm a winter (Irish ancestry, pale skin with pink undertones, dark hair) but am not really sure.

You can still find people who do this. In the mid 80's my friend worked at a salon (which was in an old Victorian home) that was going to start carrying Carole Jackson's line of cosmetics. They asked me to be one of the models. A team trained by Carole Jackson was coming from Virginia to teach the stylists. That started my interest in this, and later on another friend opened her own business - and earned quite a bit of money doing this. Believe it or not, she still does! I "worked" for her too.

One thing I learned to start you that might be a little helpful is this: Hold a white cloth up to your face (with no makeup on). If your face looks greyish, that is the wrong tone for you and you are probably warm toned. You will probably look better in off white. Hold an off white cloth up. If your skin looks creamy and almost candlelit, then you are warm. If your face glows with white, you're cool. I'm warm. Stark white against my face washes me out.

If you look good in the colors of the season, then you are probably that season. Generally speaking,Winters look great in jewel colors - ruby, sapphire, emerald, etc. Summers look good in clear blues, sea greens, and light pink colors. Autumns look good in the colors of leaves in autumn, and Springs look good in pastels.

It sounds to me like you're cool, either Winter or Summer. Snow White is Winter. I have a friend with that coloring. She looks amazing when she wears "her" colors! If your hair is lighter you might be a Summer.

Of course there are exceptions. But it's fun to play around with this! Smile

Honored Contributor

I know when I was getting married and looking at wedding gowns-- the white ones made me look awful!! The ivory or cream ones looked so much better on me. My gown was an ivory color.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Even though I had my colors done three times I've learned most from people's comments. I have a friend who is notices everything I wear but is short on compliments. Every time I'd wear olive green she'd say, "that is a wonderful color on you." She also told me hunter green was the best green on me. Years ago when I had my m/u professionally done I was wearing a dark green jewel toned dress. "Always wear greens, any shade," the m/u artist said. The problem was it was difficult to find green in stylish clothing. So I'm stocking up; I figure I might not see greens again for a long time.

I'm a winter and look best in jewel tones. But many of us have something special that makes a particular color, colors work. I have green eyes. That does not explain why whenever I wear red or hot pink I get a compliment.

I have very fair skin with pink undertones and dark blonde, highlighted hair. When I had light brown hair with lots of red it didn't change things. However, my mother had silver white hair and Paul Newman eyes. Lavenders and bright whites were amazing on her. I shopped for her the last four years of her life and I did buy duplicates; lavender and purples weren't around.

At my sixtieth birthday party a second cousin was the most stunning woman in the room. She had silver hair and wore a white suit with gorgeous amethyst jewelry. She was ninety. She was not a beauty (I'd known her for forty years) and my friends insisted she'd had cosmetic surgery. NOT. She knew her colors; they created an illusion.

Respected Contributor

On 10/11/2014 beach-mom said:
On 10/7/2014 PilatesLover said:

How does one find a consultant to determine what season you are? I suspect I'm a winter (Irish ancestry, pale skin with pink undertones, dark hair) but am not really sure.

You can still find people who do this. In the mid 80's my friend worked at a salon (which was in an old Victorian home) that was going to start carrying Carole Jackson's line of cosmetics. They asked me to be one of the models. A team trained by Carole Jackson was coming from Virginia to teach the stylists. That started my interest in this, and later on another friend opened her own business - and earned quite a bit of money doing this. Believe it or not, she still does! I "worked" for her too.

One thing I learned to start you that might be a little helpful is this: Hold a white cloth up to your face (with no makeup on). If your face looks greyish, that is the wrong tone for you and you are probably warm toned. You will probably look better in off white. Hold an off white cloth up. If your skin looks creamy and almost candlelit, then you are warm. If your face glows with white, you're cool. I'm warm. Stark white against my face washes me out.

If you look good in the colors of the season, then you are probably that season. Generally speaking,Winters look great in jewel colors - ruby, sapphire, emerald, etc. Summers look good in clear blues, sea greens, and light pink colors. Autumns look good in the colors of leaves in autumn, and Springs look good in pastels.

It sounds to me like you're cool, either Winter or Summer. Snow White is Winter. I have a friend with that coloring. She looks amazing when she wears "her" colors! If your hair is lighter you might be a Summer.

Of course there are exceptions. But it's fun to play around with this! Smile

What you've just said is the easiest description I've heard yet of finding your season and whether or not you're a "cool" or "warm" tone. I always struggle with figuring it out when it comes time to choosing colors in the Linea line. Some colors are easy choices and look great on me--like the cadet blue and charcoal/pewter greys--but the reds always stump me. The chili pepper red and brick red--which one works best? I also have the Linea seamed jacket in fuschia and that looks good, but that's outside my palette.

I think I'm a Summer, but some pastels also look good on me, like soft coral, so maybe I'm a Spring? I'm blonde, blue eyed and light (but not fair) skin with slight pink and yellow undertones. Both gold & silver look good on me.

I'll try your method with the cloths! Thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

On 10/12/2014 GraceCO said:

What you've just said is the easiest description I've heard yet of finding your season and whether or not you're a "cool" or "warm" tone. I always struggle with figuring it out when it comes time to choosing colors in the Linea line. Some colors are easy choices and look great on me--like the cadet blue and charcoal/pewter greys--but the reds always stump me. The chili pepper red and brick red--which one works best? I also have the Linea seamed jacket in fuschia and that looks good, but that's outside my palette.

I think I'm a Summer, but some pastels also look good on me, like soft coral, so maybe I'm a Spring? I'm blonde, blue eyed and light (but not fair) skin with slight pink and yellow undertones. Both gold & silver look good on me.

I'll try your method with the cloths! Thanks for posting.

Hi GraceCO! YW and have fun playing! This is just my opinion, but --- chili pepper red can be a more medium warm-toned red, while brick is more deep warm red. Cherry and ruby red and garnet are usually cooler colors. Lipstick red can go either way. I think fuschia is a cool color with its pink and violet tones. Coral can go either way too. If it's pinky coral, it's cooler; if it's peachy coral, it's warmer. With your blonde hair and blue eyes, you're probably summer or spring. I'm anxious to see what the "cloth test" shows you! Smile

Respected Contributor

I think reds are the hardest. I wear them all except if they are closer to burgundy. Chili pepper is O.K. but the best. My brick red coat should come tomorrow; I'm hoping it will be good. Coats are more of a statement. But the compliments come for Santa red. Maybe because if its right, it's so striking.

Years ago I bought a dress for ten dollars: Santa red with black on the knit collar and cuffs. I went to a board meeting of a nonprofit I was working for (Crohn's & Colitis Foundation) with two board members. We flew from Boston to N.Y.C. One was the wife of the owner of Filene's Basement (he'd been the CEO of the Gap) and the other the wife of the man who owned the company of the webbing mills that were used in high end luggage and purses in the U.S. and Italy (it was in R.I.: before China took over.) They dressed to kill. When we were freshioning up in the ladies room one said, "You should ALWAYS wear that color." "The other said, "That's the perfect dress." I immediately told them the cost and the discount store I bought the dress. I HAD JUST ASKED FOR A RAISE! I'm lucky; I have friends who have limited color palettes. It's really worth getting it right. I just turned seventy and am glad to find Linea navy; navy is my new black.