Esteemed Contributor

Re: Huggable Hangars-Yea or Nay?

On 9/10/2014 Andreatoo said: they are sturdy, thin, colorfast and hold onto your clothes sometimes too well! how on earth are you breaking them?

I have had several just snap in half. And I've had hooks get loose & fall out. And I'm not talking about treating them roughly or hanging heavy coats. Overwhelmingly, most of my HH have been in use for years and are perfectly fine. But I have had to throw away at least 10 because they broke. (I have not had this problem with the dupes I bought at BB&B.)

Some of the hooks in particular, I've noticed, are not very secure right from the beginning. And I've heard about these problems from other people too. I still like them, but they are far from flawless. (When I called to complain, btw, no one cared. So the value for me is just not all that impressive when it's kind of a cr*pshoot as to whether the entire shipment will be good or not.)

Kiss

Respected Contributor

I like them for some things (coats and jackets, for example). However, they drive me nuts for things like tees, because they stick to the fabric and I find it difficult to get the items on and off of the hangers. Also, they may save space for "flat items" in a closet, but for collared shirts, for example, they don't really save any space because the collar itself takes up a certain amount of space on its own if you don't want everything crushed. (That is, it's the dimension of the collar, not the width of the hanger, that determines how much space the shirts require.)

Respected Contributor

On 9/10/2014 Nanette49 said:

I like the huggable hangers - just purchased a set of them. They take up less room and your clothes do not slip off of them.

I agree!! I love mine. I got rid of ALL plastic hangers. I don't dry any tops in dryer, they all go directly from washer to hanger & never had an issue with breakage. A great closet make-over investment (IMO).

Super Contributor

Our house is mostly "done" in huggable hangers. I prefer Joy Mangano's as the wire part on top swivels, and they are color-fast. These features are not always found on the less expensive ones found in stores. Also, Joy's hangers are more flexible, whereas the less expensive ones will snap more easily.

I like the shirt hangers the best as they are easier to put sweaters on...but I have a lot of both. I do not care for all her clips and hooks for hanging skirts, pants, etc. They do not work well for me. I still use some of the plastic pant hangers with clips for my skirts.

For my husband's suit trousers and my dressier pants, I take the piece of cardboard off the drycleaner hangers and transfer it to one of Joy's hangers. Works perfectly! It would be nice if Joy came out with a special hanger with a roll of some type on the bottom that mimics the piece of cardboard that drycleaners use. **Hint, hint** Joy!

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

Huggable Hangars are a huge ... began with JM's wedgewood blue and now get navy blue from TJ Maxx..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

I've got several sets with hangers and organizers just waiting for me to get time to redo all my closets. I've been using a lot of the hangers in the meantime, and one of the things I like best is that NOTHING falls off of these hangers. I know some people don't like that it takes a little longer to put something on one, but I don't mind that as long as I know it's going to stay there!

The only problem I've had is the difference in color when pieces are supposed to match - that's what Joy raves about all the time - everything matches. However, it doesn't. The Rich Camel that I've gotten three sets of--everything is different colors of "camel" -- the hangers are one color, the hanging organizers are another color, the clips are different, and the hooks are different. No two of those things match each other in the color - in fact, the color of the hanging organizers is an almost sickening shade of camel/ yellow, but I can live with it.

And the hooks to hang the over-the-door organizers on the closet door won't allow the door to shut. There are many reviews about that problem. I had to spend extra money just to get hooks so I can use them. I just won't be ordering any more "sets". I also don't like the fact that if you've started doing your closets in one color and need more of anything, hangers, hooks or clips, there is no guarantee you will be able to get that color again - she keeps changing and eliminating colors all the time.

So, I really like the hangers...the things that come with them, not so much.

Regular Contributor

not sure if anyone has posted this yet - but they sell HH at Target as well. That's where I purchased mine on sale. They are good hangars - stuff doesn't fall off. I don't know that they necessarily give me more space or make my clothes hang ""flatter"" but they are good hangers.
Honored Contributor

I love the concept of the HH, but I bought Joy's only once because by the time I wanted more, some of those had already broken or rusted. I bought Costco and later Bed, Bath and they're fine for me.

Also, for my closet, I find no value in the bows and clips and bags, etc. I just want hangars.

Esteemed Contributor

I love them too and try to stock up whenever they are a Todays Special. I tried to buy another so call brand from a regular store thinking I was getting the same thing and that was a big mistake not to repeat again.

Respected Contributor

I bought a few Huggable Hangers at Target and brought them home to try. We ended up not using them. I passed them along to a friend who loves them.

The problem is that I have mostly tees and knits, and DH has tees and polos. They cling to the Huggable Hangers, and it takes more time to put a top on a Huggable Hanger (and get it to hang straight) and to take it off the hanger. I thought they were a bit of a hassle. DH didn't like them at all.

So we use plastic hangers from The Container Store. They're thin (for a tubular hanger), sturdy (hold coats), smooth (no snags) and cheap - 32 cents each. They come in a bunch of colors.

I guess it depends on your needs and your preferences.