Respected Contributor

Re: How would you dress at work for an unseasonably warm day in the midst of cold weather?

When it hits 50 here you see people in shorts, tees, and flip-flops - people can't wait for Spring so they push it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How would you dress at work for an unseasonably warm day in the midst of cold weather?

I wear mostly cotton clothing, in layers, year-round. That way I’m prepared for heat or cold. Our temps were also near 60 yesterday so I wore a pair of navy slacks with an emerald green ¾ length sleeve top and a cardigan sweater. I could take the sweater off if I got warm. I also wore a pair of navy ballet flats with light socks in the morning and took the socks off later when it got warm.

Honored Contributor

Well don't wear anything sleeveless, lest you should be accused of being "unprofessional"! (LOL)
Trusted Contributor

Personally I would layer, wearing my black,maroon,navy,or dark grey dress pants. I would then wear a pretty short sleeved or sleeveless top with a cardigan over it. For shoes, I'd wear my boots in to the office, change into sandals for the office, then wear my boots home.Just because it's nice in the morning doesn't mean the temps can't/won't drop as the day goes on.

Honored Contributor

Oh that's the name of the game in Oklahoma. You must be ready for anything at all times. It was 7 last week and 70 this week. Seasonal colors in lighter fabrics work for me.

Super Contributor

I can't imagine there are some businesses that allow their employees to wear sandals. I guess it was where I worked but we always had to wear closed toe shoes, no tank tops/sleeveless garments, and we had to wear pantyhose.

Are there businesses now that allow employees to wear sandals? Wow, I have been gone from the work force for a while it seems!

I would just wear a smart pair of ballet flats, some casual slacks and a lightweight twin set maybe. Even if the weather is warmer outside, you have to dress for indoor (office) climate. Some offices are very cold, due to not turning the heat up high enough, or having the AC too low.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/20/2014 imaclotheshog said:

I can't imagine there are some businesses that allow their employees to wear sandals. I guess it was where I worked but we always had to wear closed toe shoes, no tank tops/sleeveless garments, and we had to wear pantyhose.

Are there businesses now that allow employees to wear sandals? Wow, I have been gone from the work force for a while it seems!

I would just wear a smart pair of ballet flats, some casual slacks and a lightweight twin set maybe. Even if the weather is warmer outside, you have to dress for indoor (office) climate. Some offices are very cold, due to not turning the heat up high enough, or having the AC too low.

All I've ever had since 2000 is office jobs & every single office I've ever worked in allowed sandals, as well as dressier capris. (shorts were NEVER allowed) We didn't work with the public & no one saw us but our co-workers.

On the other hand, my daughter worked retail for a couple of years and HAD to wear closed toe shoes for safety reasons.

Trusted Contributor

We've had huge swings in temperatures and weather here in the south recently, I certainly haven't reached for my summer sandals or sundresses yet. On warmer days I just wear all-season slacks, lightweight closed shoes, and a nice knit top or blouse and maybe a cardi or light jacket. Layers are always good, because you can adjust for temps that go up and down during the day.

Honored Contributor

Where I am living, the temperature can go from a 30-degree overnight low to an 80-degree daytime high. Today it was not convertible top weather, but many had the tops back. It is hard to know what to wear.

Today, I was in my ophthalmologist office, a large practice with about 12-15 doctors. Their office manager who is of Indian descent, and who has very beautiful hair, skin and face, had on a black maxi skirt with a side split up to Canada.

Her beautiful long, tanned legs almost looked cold to me. Her top was very loose and summery in aqua layers of pleated batiste cotton with a lettuce leaf hem, (looked like something from Anthropologie) with a loose bottom fitting flare, sleeveless. She did not wear a jacket but had a beautiful, colorful Ikat scarf and her stylish sandals voiced the colors of the Ikat scarf.

I had to adjust my husband's head when she walked through the area we were sitting. I had already encountered her in the business area as I was scheduling an appointment for eyeglasses fitting and knew who she was but my husband (and all the other men) needed no glasses to enjoy what they were seeing.

I wonder if she, or the doctors, would have allowed another less attractive employee to dress that way. I think she was beautiful but not sure her attire was appropriate for the office setting.

Respected Contributor

Here in Michigan we're excited that it's going up to 40 in a day or two. That will seem warm to us!

As for dressing in blatantly summer clothing during the winter--that seems stupid. There are all sorts of other options (layering, for example).