Respected Contributor

I would greatly appreciate suggestions re how best to 

shorten too long polyester tops. The material is so thin

can I use fusing tape and iron? I can hand sew a hem-

but a lot of work  with arthritic hands that also suffer from neuropathy.

Thanks 🙏 for responses.

Honored Contributor

Re: How to hem liquid knit

[ Edited ]

@IMW wrote:

I would greatly appreciate suggestions re how best to 

shorten too long polyester tops. The material is so thin

can I use fusing tape and iron? I can hand sew a hem-

but a lot of work  with arthritic hands that also suffer from neuropathy.

Thanks 🙏 for responses.

all those knits are really hard to hem,  and the tailors don't have the machines to do it.

speaking from experience 

iron and fusing tape might = melting

If I really, really liked the piece I would see if a tailor would do it 

Esteemed Contributor

In general, knit fabrics require a serger to hem.  Any other try just looks odd.

If you can find someone with one, give it a go.

However, IMO, the piece is usually not worth the cost of altering.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I did alterations, I used a special hemming stitch for knits on my serger. That kind of stitch binds the unfinished (cut) fabric edge and tacks it to the body of fabric all in one stitch pattern.

Esteemed Contributor

If you don't have a serger (which I do not), I would sew (straight stitch on the machine) seam binding at the given hem edge, then pin to your desired length, press the fold, and then use the blind hem stitch on the machine.

I think you would get puckers if you used fusing hem tape. Or, maybe it would work if your garment does not flare out at all.

Honored Contributor

The problem with using a regular sewing machine for hemming is that when it comes to knits, the stitches pop when the knit fabric is stretched.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The problem with using a regular sewing machine for hemming is that when it comes to knits, the stitches pop when the knit fabric is stretched.

@SilleeMeeI'm not sure I know what you mean. (pop) Do you mean the thread breaks? I would just make sure I used the proper machine needle.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMeeI'm not sure I know what you mean. (pop) Do you mean the thread breaks? I would just make sure I used the proper machine needle.

@Harpa 

Yes 'pop' means the thread breaks because it doesn't stretch with the knit when the knit is stretched. The only stitch which can be done using a sewing machine is a zig-zag stitch and that even has it's limitation.

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting read..........never thought about hemming liquid knit.  (I personally can't stand the feeling of the material so have never thought about it)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Harpa 

Yes 'pop' means the thread breaks because it doesn't stretch with the knit when the knit is stretched. The only stitch which can be done using a sewing machine is a zig-zag stitch and that even has it's limitation.

Yes, that's what the blind hem stitch is. I use it all the time! But you can just use a straight stitch if you are putting on seam binding. I wouldn't bother removing the existing hem at all.

You don't really even need the seam binding. Then you would just flip up the new hem, press & pin and blind hem stitch.

eta: I don't think I mean seam binding. I think it is called seam tape.