Esteemed Contributor

How to dress for online meeting?

[ Edited ]

So yesterday I had my first online staff meeting since our work at home days have started.  It was like a Skype where we could see little videos of each other across our laptop screens.  

I did my hair and make-up just like I would if I had gotten in the car and driven to work.  I wore a plain button-down shirt with cardigan over it.  I was only visible from the chest up.  

I'm apparently the only one who thought it was appropriate to dress like I would for work.  🤣  People had wet hair like they just got out of the shower.  No (or limited) make-up.  One was in her pajamas.

Just curious. . .if you had to attend an online meeting for work these days, would you do your hair & make-up?  Would you wear business casual or something even more casual?  

Honored Contributor

Re: How to dress for online meeting?

I would have done exactly what you did.
"To each their own, in all things".
Super Contributor

You dressed appropriately for your online work meeting.    I would have done the exact same thing.   Our world as we know it has changed so we need to make changes such as online meetings.   I definitely would not want to see my coworkers in their sleep attire.   My Best to You!   Tallgal

Respected Contributor

I would (and have) do as you did and dress business casual.

It’s called respect.

Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

So yesterday I had my first online staff meeting today since our work at home days have started.  It was like a Skype where we could see little videos of each other across our laptop screens.  

I did my hair and make-up just like I would if I had gotten in the car and driven to work.  I wore a plain button-down shirt with cardigan over it.  I was only visible from the chest up.  

I'm apparently the only one who thought it was appropriate to dress like I would for work.  🤣  People had wet hair like they just got out of the shower.  No (or limited) make-up.  One was in her pajamas.

Just curious. . .if you had to attend an online meeting for work these days, would you do your hair & make-up?  Would you wear business casual or something even more casual?  

wildcat fan, good topic.  I would dress like you did.  I left work 18 years ago, but I still say that it takes just as long to dress sloppy as it does to look nice.  My makeup is usually just 💄.

Esteemed Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
I would have done exactly what you did.

Thank you @Snicks1 ❤️

They were laughing at me.  "Look!  She's wearing makeup! She straightened her hair!"  (Honestly, I don't wear that much makeup anyway, and all I did was blow dry my hair with a round brush.)  Even the boss made a comment.  I'm still going to dress like that next week.  Maybe I'll be a trendsetter.  😊

Honored Contributor

I had my dr appointment this morning via telemed. I put on makeup and earrings and fixed my hair and put on a shirt so it didn’t look like I was in my pjs. Still had on my PJ pants, though!
I would never dream of doing any work conference online without looking like I was ready for work, at least from the waist up. It doesn’t take that much effort to fix your hair and put on some makeup.
Regular Contributor

What kind of job is this? Wet hair, PJ's? Never!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wildcat fan  I have done exactly the same as you. Since working from home since Monday, I still "get ready" like I'm going in. We had a videoconference yesterday and lawd - some looked like they just woke up lol. Whatever works I guess.

ETA for me, I feel better and I think I have more energy and drive when I make an effort to look decent.

Honored Contributor

You did the right thing. It shows you respect your job and your colleagues, maybe they will take the hint and at least dry their hair and out on clothes.