Esteemed Contributor

How to avoid shrinking 100% cotton shirt?

I hate to admit that I don't know this.....but what is the trick to keep a 100% cotton top (a tee in this case) from shrinking when you wash and dry it? 

Honored Contributor

Re: How to avoid shrinking 100% cotton shirt?

[ Edited ]

Cold wash,  air dry.

Any heat, whether it be warm or hot water, a warm or hot dryer, will shrink your cotton tee and it will never be the same. It will shrink it permanently.

Honored Contributor

I would wash it on cold on the gentlest cycle you have and then I would fluff it only in a cold dryer and then take it out and hang it on a hanger, pulling the sleeves, collar and body of the T-Shirt straight. Will probably need a light iron (or steaming).

If that makes you nervous then I would wash it in low suds by hand in cold water, rinse it gently to get the soap out and then gently roll the item and squeeze the water out over and over again (never twist and wring the fabric).  Hang it over your bathtub or in your shower until it stops dripping and then transfer it somewhere to continue drying.  As it's drying, pull the sleeves, collar and body to shape it so the wrinkles lessen.

Good luck... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Cold wash,  air dry.

This is what I was going to say.  If it shrinks after being washed in cold water and hung to dry, something is wrong with the fabric and the shirt should be returned. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

No heat

Honored Contributor

Cold water and line/hanger dry.  I suppose hand wash with woolite is another option, but I don't hand wash anything.  😀

Frequent Contributor

I read that if you put something that has shrunk in a bowl, sink, whatever in a mixture of water and hair conditioner, it will restore it.

I don't know where I saw it, maybe Pinterest.

Honored Contributor

All of my tops are 100% cotton.  I wash them in cool water and hang to dry.  Some need touched up with iron afterward.  

Honored Contributor

A hundred years ago (lol), I bought a beautiful crinkled all cotton top. Beautiful melange of striated colors of turq., blue, and green.  Washed it in cold water, dried flat, etc.  It shrunk into a child's size.  Returned it to JCP and they happily refunded my money.  No problem.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Only wash it in cold or cool water, never use the dryer.