Trusted Contributor

How to Wear Kimono - Learned something NEW

I ordered GILI  Woven Open Front Kimono and I initally planned to RETURN It cause it was just too big.  The GILI Kimono is long and big and I just felt LOST.

But I decided, go to YOU TUBE and see if anyone created videos on ways to wear a kimono.  Several ladies posted some great videos and ENCOURAGED me to keep the item or at least try a few different ways of styling before returning the item.

If you have a kimono and are interested in options not seen during the presentations on the Q, please see the attached videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olCGl42SDZg&t=36s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVycDF_mNl8&t=252s

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: How to Wear Kimono - Learned something NEW

How very thoughtful for you to share. Thank you.

Trusted Contributor

I watched both videos and the first one where she tied up in various ways....really worked for me......I did a few of the ideas and I might just keep one of them.

I think I will wear some capri pants and a tank and then wear the kimono on top.

in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB @I absolutely loved the African American woman’s style.I wonder where she lives to have access to so many beautiful things.She has the best accessories too.I will enjoy following her styling videos.

Honored Contributor

Loved that first one!  I subscribed!  Thank youSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing.  The first video didn't interest me becaue I like my kimonos loose and flowy,  tying them up twisting them and doing stuff with them isn't why I buy a kimono or wrap.  I loved the second video!  Loved the color, the accessories, the movement, that cool girl vibe.  That's how I do it but in a slightly less dramatic way.  I'm short so my kimonos and wraps have to stop at the knee or mid thigh.  

Trusted Contributor

Thank you!  Loved the second video with the styling and accessories. And the footwear!  Kimono time!  Amazon here I come.

Trusted Contributor

I ordered this Marla Wynne kimono robe in this cream. The print is beautiful! The material is so soft - silk charmeuse made of poly. I wear it as a duster, though, because the print is too pretty to just wear around my house. Woman Happy

618-015

It's on clearance now and also comes in a navy print:

wynnelounge-printed-kimono-robe.jpg

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Thanks for sharing.  The first video didn't interest me becaue I like my kimonos loose and flowy,  tying them up twisting them and doing stuff with them isn't why I buy a kimono or wrap.  I loved the second video!  Loved the color, the accessories, the movement, that cool girl vibe.  That's how I do it but in a slightly less dramatic way.  I'm short so my kimonos and wraps have to stop at the knee or mid thigh.  

that is how i generally love wearing my kimonos/dusters/toppers also @chrystaltree 

love long and flowy over a fitted outfit or dress.

thanks @Happiness Is Inside JOB !

i own the GILI kimono in all of the patterns and will play around with them.

just got back from hawaii and wore them there. loved the flow and the material.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

that is how i generally love wearing my kimonos/dusters/toppers also @chrystaltree 

love long and flowy over a fitted outfit or dress.

thanks @Happiness Is Inside JOB !

i own the GILI kimono in all of the patterns and will play around with them.

just got back from hawaii and wore them there. loved the flow and the material.

Sunshine45 - I did not fully know what your arabic quote meant so I had to google it.  I did not want to "assume" I knew the entire meaning.  NOW, I will adapt this phrase as one of my quotes also.

"If the camel once gets his nose in the tent, his body will soon follow." - Arab Proverb

In the story, a man seeks shelter from a sandstorm in his tent but leaves his camel outside. The camel asks permission to put his nose in the tent, and the man gives it. The camel then progressively asks permission to put more and more of his body in the tent and finally the man has to leave the tent because his camel is taking all the space.

The moral of the story is "Don't allow even small malpractices, because they will grow big eventually." (The focus is on the "don't allow" part).

So the phrase means that what is happening is a mistake, which although small, should be stopped.

Comparable English idioms:

• ****** in the bud
  • give an inch, take they'll take a mile
  • An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
in your life!!!