Honored Contributor

Re: How often do you buy clothes?

[ Edited ]

More than I'd like to admit.  I have always loved buying clothes. I never plan on buying it just seem to happen when I see something I like.  I'm the type that tends to dress up when just going to the grocery store.  I love it and makes me feel good.  I always loved going to the mall and I have started to again but sadly the stores I like are going out of business.  It's so sad going to the mall  these days.

Respected Contributor

Not like I use to.  Been cutting back for a long time now.  Organizing my closet and moving out stuff that no longer does it for me.

I love to go to the stores but since pandemic very little.  I like to try on first.

I have purchased some new from Qvc.  Updating a few things.  But I have cut way down and last purchase was Joan Rivers barn jacket.  That was a keeper.  

Honored Contributor

I only buy clothing when I need something.  At one time if I saw something I wanted, I bought it.  Now I feel so stupid for doing so.  All that money I spent never made me happy.

When I read about all the purging and donating of hardly used clothing on here, I cringe. I am so happy I am off of that merry-go-round.  Who really needs a closet full of jackets, dresses, pants and tops?  

Americans are wasteful.

Honored Contributor

Way, way too often.  Hardly a day goes by that I don't buy something from QVC.

A week or two goes by and then suddenly they're delivered on the same day.  

It's crazy.  I think they hold onto them and send them out at once.  It just seems that way.

I've never liked the color brown but suddenly I'm buying things from Isaac that have light pink and beige in them.

I have no idea what color looks best with me.  When I go out, everything (ie jewelry, top, pants, shoes) all matches in color.

Today, you'd have thought I was going to a nice office.  I put on makeup, clothes match, shoes, everything.  All I did was go to Panera and get 2 salads for the weekend.  Then I was back home.

I just decided when my husband died I would dress nicely and feel good about myself. 

I don't apologize to anyone for what I buy.  My daughters support me in my efforts to work through my pain and not let it get the best of me.  Dressing nice is one way I keep going.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I so agree with you!  For me,the way I'm dressed makes for a better attitude.  I feel better about myself.  I don't mean getting all dressed up but just nice looking things.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

@wilma  I love to shop for clothes.  Like you,I haven't gone into clothing stores since March.  I've ordered a few things from JCP and I was very happy with them size and qualitywise. I've ordered a few pair of summer pj's from Walmart...really nice and fast delivery.

I would actually love to pitch my clothes and buy all new things,I really would. I'd like to do it ALOT.😁 But, alas, it's not practical,afforable or good for the planet. 

But still...I can dream.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@MoJoV  We think alike on this subject.  Before I go out, I always look once in the full length mirror and then go out the door.

When I was making a next appointment at my Dr's office the secretary said, "Would early or late be better for you". 

I said, "I'd rather come in the early afternoon.  I don't work so it works better if I come in the early afternoon".

She said, "Oh!  I thought you were coming from work.  You always dress so nice, I just assumed you were working".

I started laughing and said, "I'm 73 years old, I would have hoped I'd retired by then.  But truth be told I haven't worked in 47 years", (the age of my oldest daughter).

Honored Contributor

Before I retired I shopped at least a couple times a month. Even after retiring I still shopped, nearly as much (it's a hard habit to break), a few months into retirement I made myself just stop, it was ridiculous to continue buying when my closet and dresser drawers were stuffed. Slowly weeded through everything, donating a bunch! Now, in a normal year, I might shop maybe 5 or 6 times a year, except this year....nothing, ( I think I did buy a pair of jeans). AND I still have more than I need, so I don't plan to shop until I actually need something. Jeans and tees are my "uniform" and I wear them 12 months a year.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@wilma Call the store you prefer and ask them how they are treating clothing which has been tried on.

Where I am a stylist, all tried on clothing goes off of the floor for several days.  If we see someone try on a jacket in the floor and they hang it back up, we get it and take it off of the floor.

We also wipe down the credit card machine, counter top, and pen used after every single transaction.  

My guess is that they want the virus gone so they can protect their families and get back to normal hours and normal pay.

Honored Contributor

@wilma 

I never thought about how often I shop for clothes. When I need or want some and they are on sale or, better yet, on clearance. Not in excess.

I worked from home for two months (that drastically changed my shopping!) but I have been back in the office since the end of May. I dropped a size or so since the pandemic started so I am shopping for some smaller clothes for work. I have done most of my clothes shopping online for years.