Honored Contributor

Re: How often do you buy clothes?

I rarely shop for something when I need it because I won't find exactly what I want and will settle for something less and won't want to wear it.

I browse all year long and buy when I see something I might need and/or really like.  It's in my closet when I need it.  Of course, it takes some forethought.  

Sometimes, I see something really unique that I don't need.  Usually, the styles are timeless, but different from what is normally seen in the stores or online.  They are more conversation pieces.  "Where'd you get that?"

I don't wear them often, but pull out when I want to add something different to what I'm wearing.  It could be a cardigan, blazer, jacket, coat, or shoes.  

So, how often I buy something depends on what I find and if I really like it. 

Honored Contributor

I actually hate shopping in stores, (weird, I know), but online I probably bought 1-2 items and that includes necessities like undergarments, not fun stuff. Maybe a splurge on an expensive pair of shoes or top I've wanted for awhile but I'm pretty much a jeans and white T-shirt kind of gal. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have still been buying clothes, exclusively from QVC, up until recently.  I think I am done now, unless I see a REALLY good deal on QVC on something I know I won't have to return.  I still have to return the Susan Graver TSV blazer (sleeves waaaaay too long,) and a pair of tennis shoes that were a LTS but the tongues were so stiff they dug into my ankles. I will send them back together, but still that is a lot of shipping money I am wasting.

I just finished reorganizing my closet and forming a donation pile.  Some of those items I only wore a few times.  That really hurts, so I have to remember that when I am tempted to buy more.  My closet is full, with no room for more.  So I am challenging myself to see how long I can just say NO to myself.  I don't need a darn thing!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

before, every weekend. i know i don't need more, but when i see something i like, i'll buy it. now, i don't go anywhere, but i still shop online. my excuse is, it's "staying at home clothes". 

Esteemed Contributor

Used to do it several times a year.  Now nothing.  

I got all excited about winter this week and searched for a down vest.  Found one and then didn't even care.  Figure there will be nowhere to go.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been working from home for 5 years, that is when I started to dress more casually but not sloppy.  I don't wear pj's or things that look like pj's during the day.  I'm a fashionista, I have always loved clothes.  I buy something once or twice a week.  I'm a smart shopper, I know my size, I use size charts so I rarely return anything.  On the other hand, sometimes I never get around to wearing some of the things I buy.  It's more of a problem now that I don't go out socially.  Life's short, I work hard, shopping is one of things I haven't had to give up this year.<Of course, I shop online. I don't shop in stores.

Respected Contributor

A few times a month, only if there is a sale. Too bad for my wallet the entire spring and summer has been nothing but sales. I enjoy going to the store, looking at clothes and feeling the fabric and trying stuff on. I do this when I'm bored and always end up buying something. As a result my closet is so overstuffed I can't stand it.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

i haven't bought any clothes since the pandemic began.  No need to.  Where would I wear them??!!!

@Krimpette 

True. Since I bought mostly casual tees I’ve been wearing my new ones around the house. 

Esteemed Contributor

In a "normal" year, my major shopping trips would have been in November, December (right after Christmas) and then once in the spring and once in the summer.  I would then purchase other items all throughout the year.

We all know this year hasn't been normal.  I ordered one top and three pairs of sandals online and I went to Kohl's once but only purchased one top.  The closest mall to me has lost its three major anchor stores (Macy's, Penney's and Elder Beerman).  I'm not one to shop much for clothes online (hard to fit and too much inconsistant sizing) so I'm not sure what I'll be doing.  With fall fast approaching, I'm really itching to get some new tops and I've slowly been looking through a couple of web sites.  I plan to do some more over the weekend but it is sooooo time consuming.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I love shopping for clothes! I live in an area where there are several resort towns nearby. I'm waiting for the vacationers go home (after Labor Day) so I can go shopping in peace. I shop at odd hours now but I still shop. 

"Pure Michigan"