Honored Contributor

Re: How much would you expect to pay for a real suede jacket?

I have seen suede jackets from 199 to 900 and more.  I think the average suede jacket of decent quality, with collar, buttons or zipper (or both,) a belt and  some detailing runs about 350 not on sale..IThe cost sometimes depends on the lining.  Unlined or satin lined are less than those with fleece or heavier quilted linings.   A good time to buy them is in January or even late December..

Tonight I saw really cute faux suede and leather jackets at Nordie, starting from 78 bucks.

Esteemed Contributor

A good suede jacket (not on sale) on the low end are around $200-$300 in the good stores.  The more posh the name on the door is the prices can soar up over $1,000 for suede jackets.  

I personally have never had a washable suede item which I hated.  I've purchased washable suedes from QVC and Nordstrom only, but my experience has been that the suede isn't  lesser quality than the non washables I've owned.  In my area the $50 to leather clean a jacket is a deterrent for purchasing non washable suede.

Respected Contributor

You can find suede jackets ranging under $100 to well over $1000.

Cheap suede looks and feels cheap.

Years ago I bought a washable suede jacket from QVC.  I paid under $100 and thought it looked worth what I paid for it.  I washed it and it became unwearable.

Honored Contributor

I have 2 washable suede jackets from QVC - each has been washed a couple times and both still look like new. I wonder what some people do to their washable suede that ruins it, as it's frequently posted here on the boards that this happens. As a matter of fact, mine were so nice when we were moving to Florida I could not bring myself to give them away so I kept them and when we get our occasional cool weather I wear them as an outer coat.

Honored Contributor

I ordered a washable suede jacket a few years ago.  The smell was revolting.

I couldn't wait to send that back. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG

So, did you decide?

In other news, this is at Zara for $129- real suede.

Image 1 of SUEDE JACKET from Zara

Image 3 of SUEDE JACKET from Zara

Image 2 of SUEDE JACKET from Zara

Honored Contributor

I'm  afraid to put it down because all of you would think I've lost my mind!  I absolute love it, and ther's only four in my size.  (Not much wiggle room).  But since I left a well paying job to take a lesser one (happiness comes expensively) I can't make my mind up!  Having worked in design, I can see it in my mind and wear it to death, and love it!

From the estimates here they haven't even come close!  I hoped to get an idea of what's around, for peace of mind, but I still love it, and it isn't like Prada or anything like that!  (but bad enough!!!!)!!!

I'll have to save like a maniac!!!!!

Since I never can find a Christmas persent, I thought DH would give me something and I would pay the rest!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG

If you love it, get it!  You don't want it to be the one that got away.  Even if it's the price of 10 jackets, if you will wear this one more than you would wear 10 others, it's worth it.  Will it be your outerwear piece, or will you wear it as a layering piece?

My new winter coat hasn't been worn yet, although I had the sleeves shortened and ready to go in September.  I think I am responsible for our Indian summer, because of my purchase.  I look at it longingly every time I pass by and think soon it will be cold enough...

I did just see my coat reduced some more, but of course it's no longer available in my size, so I'm okay with the price that I paid.

Honored Contributor

I agree - it sounds like this is something you have really thought about. Not an impulse buy. I think it would be money well spent & a jacket well-loved and worn a lot.

I love the way a suede jacket with very little wiggle room looks!

I made the mistake of trying on the suede jacket I bought in a size smaller (not available when I bought mine & I was so happy to be in that size it did not occur to me a smaller size might fit by fall) and now I am looking to find it in the color I have in that smaller size. The larger size is good for when one needs layers for warmth but, oh my! What that smaller size does for my body with a more fitted look! 

Honored Contributor

Suede is currently cheaper then the full leather.  I'm shocked at the skyrocketing price of leather goods.  Just looking at Nordstrom.  You have to remember with leather and suede, you pay for the quality.  Good leather jackets go  way over $1,000.00.  Good suede probably in the upper hundreds.