Super Contributor

Re: How much longer will print fashion magazines exist?

I gave up InStyle a few years ago when it got too trendy and the subscrption price went up.  I used to enjoy it - especially the November (Christmas issue) and would often get some good gift ideas.  I check it out now at the library!

Respected Contributor

I had 4-5 mag subscriptions years ago but I let them lapse.  There wasn't anything of substance, just fluff.  I don't miss them.

When I fly I sometimes buy a mag to read as a treat but its the same thing--too many glitzy ads and not much to read. 

Valued Contributor

I would say that I am a magazine addict - at one time I was receiving at least 18 a month - then the fashion mags started showing more and more bizarre clothing with very high prices and a lot of nudity - dropped them all -  next dropped all mags that had the word sex on the cover - now I am down to ones like HGTV, Better Homes and Gardens (which I will not be renewing), Country Living, Cottages and Bungalows, Country Journal, English Home (the most beautiful magazine ever!).  Not renewing my Elle Decor either.  

So, I certainly hope the ones I like will continue to print, as i will not read online.

Honored Contributor

I hate to lose Bazaar.  They pulled things together so well.  In the evenings, i'm with the tv and DH is on the computer with his Sci fy.  I have my phone, but it's not comfortable for looking at pictures for detail.

Valued Contributor

I love magazines!  Certainly not as many around as used to be.....

Growing up my mother always had a fashion magazine open paying close attention to detail.  I love those memories of her sharing a picture with me of something she loved.   

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 , I agree.  I prefer ebooks for convenience but with magazines, I prefer the real thing.  LM

Honored Contributor

Most of publishing houses have moved on the the Internet.  But the problem is the AD blocker.  I have one and refuse to give it up to read any magazine online or any newspaper.  Even the the tabloids are in on the act.  Daily Mail now requires you to disable your ad blocker!  Perhapds this thread should be how much long will online fashion magazines exist (without an ad blocker?)

Respected Contributor

I don't subscribe to fashion mags, but I do get mags and LOVE THEM.  Just like I prefer holding an actual BOOK in my hands, and a copy of the Sunday paper.  I don't want to go through Sunday's paper online...   it's a totally different experience.  Sad that there isn't room for both.

Respected Contributor

i stopped caring about these magazines when they started to try influence my thinking on subjects far afield of what to wear, who's wearing what, etc. and not in line with their "expertise."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They have all become pages filled with politics and clothing for the elitist.  Who amongst us can afford a $6000 blouse from Chanel or a $50,000 handbag from Hermes

They seem to fill their pages with political rants from femiists who adored Matt Lauer, Harvey Weinstein and frothed at the idea of meeting and being associated with them.  

Their pages are otherwise filled with hypocrisy and tosh.