Esteemed Contributor

How much longer will print fashion magazines exist?

I wonder how much longer print fashion magazines will exist. The October and November fashion and beauty magazines are on the newsstands and all are thin looking with not even 200 pages in an issue. It's the middle of fall and the push for holiday shopping is upon us. Yet the magazines have very little advertising.

After reading this New York article about the Conde Nast company, I'd say that print magazines are on their last legs as they have lost a ton of money in the last few years. No wonder that so many magazines have closed or folded or have had to seek new publishers.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/10/conde-nast-anna-wintour-roger-lynch.html 

Honored Contributor

Re: How much longer will print fashion magazines exist?

[ Edited ]

Not much longer.  I expected some to have been gone by now.  I stopped subscribing some time ago. 

Fashions were so out there they were  ridiculous and magazines had become  very biased.

All magazines are in trouble.  Some prices are down to $9.99 a year to lure customers so advertisers place ads.  Ad money is being spent on the internet and TV.

Honored Contributor

I refuse to pay $8 for some slick pages of advertising.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

The cost of a magazine I want to read is up there like the cost of a book.  Too expensive IMO.  I rarely buy them.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

The cost of a magazine I want to read is up there like the cost of a book.  Too expensive IMO.  I rarely buy them.  LM

@Lilysmom   I don't even have a good bookstore reasonably near me.   I get my "best sellers" from  "A".......more economical than wasting time and gasoline(!)    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Not much longer, there's basically nothing in them now.  They are thin with a few fictures of $$$$$ clothes that their readers can't afford and ads.  They only exist not for those ads.  I started reading them when I was 11 or 12 but I gave up a couple of years ago.  Just a waste of money.  I get eveything all the style info I need from my shopping channels and from Youtube.  

Honored Contributor

I love magazines and get my subscriptions online at a discount site.  I love my tablet, but as long as magazines are available I prefer them.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I hope they last a long time because I won't read a magazine or book online. For one thing, my vision isn't all that great.  I prefer holding a book or magazine.  I don't read or buy fashion magazines, but have seen them in doctors' offices and they are nothing but full-page ads and no substance.  No thank you.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

I don't subscribe to fashion magazines (I'm not really fashionable!), but I do take several others.  While I've adjusted to the Kindle for book reading, I just can't love digital magazines.  I suppose my day is coming and I'll need to get used to them.  I just saw that Family Circle magazine will be discontniued after the December issue.  I do think they will all be gone before long.

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Honored Contributor

The only fashion mags I buy are Vogue Knitting, ands few European knitting style magazines. New York Mag has a couple of style issues. Otherwise, catalogues from places I shop are enough for me.