Super Contributor

How much do you need to save to make a trip back to a store to return an item?

I had an interesting discussion with some of my friends last night about returning items for savings.  The general consensus was if you could save under 5.00 not worth the effort  5-10 dollars maybe depending on how far away you lived and what else was going on in your life;  over 10 dollars most likely yes!  This would not include mailing back items.  I decided against returning a toy for my nephew to Target - I live 30 minutes away from the closest one - when the savings were going to be 6.00  and the lines at the post office have been realy long!

Honored Contributor

Re: How much do you need to save to make a trip back to a store to return an item?

For me it depends on how much the item cost.  Anything under $30 I pretty much don't bother to return it and just donate.  More than that I'll pay the return shipping charge.

Honored Contributor

Re: How much do you need to save to make a trip back to a store to return an item?

you could always order one at the sale price and just return the one you purchased for $6 more when you are able to get to the target store.

i may or may not go back depending on how far away a store is from me. otherwise, i would probably do what i stated above. i would even consider donating one to toys for tots collections.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have donated a lot of QVC items I purchased because I could not take the time from what I was doing to return it and the cost for purchase and shipping were high and that made shipping it back even costlier. 

I considered giving it to my housekeeper or the women's shelther, who would always use and appreciate it, a big return on my investment.

Super Contributor

For clarification, you would be buying the same item at the lower price and returning the original item for which you paid the higher price.. .  Sorry for the confusion

Honored Contributor

@gellen  Your post is interesting to me.  I don't shop in stores much anymore.  I order on QVC, HSN, Amazon, etc.

I mostly shop on QVC for clothes for me.  I didn't used to send 'stuff' back...I'd keep it and give it away.

I always only buy something if it's on easy pay because I don't need it. 

I buy gifts for friends and family all year long, just enjoy doing it.  

But my daughter pointed out to me that if I take time to return what I don't want (or doesn't fit...mostly) at least that amount isn't coming out every month.

I've received returns for $4, $6 or so (easy pay).  The smallest I think was $2.09.

But at least it didn't continue to come out.

I found that during the "Stuff" recently on TV I kept tuning into QVC just for background noise.

I usually listen to game shows while getting ready to go out (helps me keep track of time).

Honored Contributor

I've been calculating this the last few days. I agree that $10 is a good cut-off price.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

It depends on how much I would be saving, for me it would have to be at least $40 or $50.  I work, I don't like the brick&mortar store experience so there is no way I would jump in the car and trek to some store to save $20.  Not going to happen.  If I have something that doesn't work for me; prefer to sell it or give it someone I know.  Or hold on to it and donate it.  Which happened to me.  Last Christmas, I bought my  granddaughter a remote control dog.  It was darling little dog.  The problem was she already had two remote control dogs and they weren't exactly her favorite toys.  I could have returned it but I ended up packing it away with the Christmas decorations.  Which was ok.  Our condo complex collects toys for Toys for Tots and we got the notice a few days ago.  So, I am all set.  I'll give them that dog.  Also a Kindle I bought earlier in the year,  I bought a two-pack from Amazon ealier this year.  I gave one as a gift and saved one.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live close to just about everything.  I also shop at Nordstrom and returns are free.  I have an outside mall about 10 blocks from me.  IKEA is about 1 mile or less.  Two Targets to choose from.  No complaints from me. You are in a different situation so you need to pick and choose.   Happy Holidays.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@gellen   I tend to agree.  However I also look at it as getting the item that I don't want out of the house...who needs stuff collecting?  Plus it's as much work in some cases to give it away so I would rather get the refund even if it's small.....giving it away usually means driving it somewhere to drop it off.

Mailing it back to me means either printing out a label from home (or using the label included) then scheduling a postal pick up by my front door.